raw footage and deliverables

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

OK I have two questions. I am new here and thank you for your help!! 

1. What do you do when a couple asks for the raw footage after you have edditied their film ( I shoot super 8mm wedding films) Do you give it to them? Are there copyrights involved? Other things I shoudl worrry about? 

2. I am trying to decide on my deliverables. I have had some problems with burning DVD's and having them skip on the clients players. So I am curious what you all deliver…. DVD's, hard drive, raw files, youtube links, something else? 

Part 2 is excellent. I shoot long events (like graduations) on AVCHD (MTS) files), edit on Premiere Elements 11 & burn on DVD or dual layer DVD. They ALWAYS look similar to VHS quality. I don't expect a long discription of how to make them look better but it would be useful if someone would suggest a book or manual that does explain the ins & outs of burning DVDs. 

Participant

1. Hopefully your contract states that YOU own all the raw footage. If not, it should be in there. Never ever give your client the raw footage. This is no different than a still photographer keeping all the original images. After all, this is the way they make their money after the wedding.

2. The deliverables can and should be whatever the client wants, be it DVD or digital (i.e. web based) files.

For DVDs, stick to well known names. I've been using Taiyo Yuden (now JVC) Watershield DVDs for several years now and never had any problems with them. In a pinch I'll use Verbatim but that's it for brands that I trust. I never let my maximum bitrate exceed 8,000,000. If the video is too long (over 2 hours) to fit on a single DVD, burn it as a 2 disc set. The quality will be much better and your client will be happier.

Mike

Mike – rights are not a problem for me. I'm aware of the high compression crap & I do use good disks. When I was shooting on DV I didn't have a quality problem. But the whole AVCHD thing has been a bit of a nightmare. First off, there's the 2gig limit of FAT. There for a long, non stop shot is made of several files. There's a glitch when layed end to end on the time line. And yes, I can edit them in their raw file (MTS). My computer is powerful enough (i7,32GB RAM, Nvidea card, 2, 1TB HDDs) to handle the raw files. They look beautiful. But when it's time to burn then turn to crap. I know DVD is only standard definition but I figure if a DVD rental from Red Box can look so good then I think mine shouldn't look so bad. What does Hollywood do to help keep their movies looking so good in standard def? I must be missing out on some important information. I need to read something that will explain everything I need to know. 

Participant

Hi safilms,

1- I have it in the contract that I retain the rights to use footage for promoting myself but I don't retain the rights to sell it. As long as they pay for the agreed on project I give them a copy of the originals after, they can do what ever they want with it. Once I've filmed a wedding I move on and I would only be interested in those little tidbits that would shine up a demo reel. I don't film tape anymore so they have to provide a external for it.

I shoot with picture styles that are a bit desaturated and flat so they would have to do some color grading anyway, more power to them if they want to do something else with it.

2- I do mostly DVD's but the cloud storage is picking up and I include a cloud upload with the package if they want or an upload to youtube or what ever so they have a digital copy in HD somewhere.

I actually get more requests for the original footage from corporate work, so companies can use footage in commercials or what ever down the road. I usually give that up as well and I have had it come back to me in another project for the company, so they just stored it and I didn't have to.

Participant

Jakeman, you mention the "glitch" of the AVCHD files on the timeline. I've found that by expanding the timeline (zooming) I can see the break better and be certain the files have butted together. Turn on the "snapping" option too, if you haven't. In Premiere Pro CS6 I've found that greatly minimizes the glitch.

Ed…thanks for the suggestions but I'm aware of those options. Makes no difference.

Canon included software with the camcorder that will allow the files to be "merged" seemlessly together but I think there's a little quality loss. Plus it takes almost as much time to merge the files as to watch the files in real time.

The "glitch" is only one frame where ther files butt together.

On a non stop shot that equals about 3-4 glitches per hour. I'm kind of learning to live with it but I know it's not right. Since I KNOW there's a fix (for Canon it's the included Pixela software). What I don't understand is why it's not included in all Windows video edit programs that claim to be AVCHD friendly. Am I the only guy who shoots long form programs (plays, graduations, weddings)?    I doubt it very much.

Participant

wow thanks everyone. Sounds like its about 50/50 on the raw footage depending on contracts. For the DVD's (please excuse my newness) I use Final Cut Pro and Compressor and was using double layer DVD's and read that may be the problem… thoughts? 

Also (again sorry for my newness) when you say cloud storage, waht have you found the easiest to use? I really want to just use cloud storage as I am finding its very timeconsuming to burn DVD's. 

Thanks so much everyone! 

Inactive

Have you ever gotten an answer about why this is?  About the hollywood vs home-burning software, I mean?  Because I've been searching for years.  Still not many people want Blu-rays, and still my beautiful HD footage has to be churned into muck every time I burn a disc.  I'd love to know the secret as well.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera on a hand held stabilizer

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2020

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap