Rate my Video Production

Tjbenz's picture

Looking for comments and critique. Thanks

paulears's picture

36 seconds was all I could stand. Made me feel dizzy - so much random cutting and because of the camera movement, it kind of shakes you one way, then the other. Too disturbing for me to watch. The shot at the beginning with the umbrella - why dod you suddenly lose his head? Also - the constant orange blob - I thought at first it was a finger on a phone video, but it kept coming back. Why?

Sorry = but I really hated it and couldn't make the end. However - keep in mind I am older, hate the music style and just don't get it. Others might, but the production style was jarring to me.

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

Lets begin with some simple questions: does this video provide an experience better than listening to the song on a CD? I don't think so. Are there elements of storytelling in this video? I think not. Is there story connection between the figure in blue and the figure in red, for example? None that I can see. And what is the significance of the setting?

Is this video visually interesting? I think not. Is there a reason for any of the camera movement? None that I can see. Does the over-use of lens flare -- Paulears charitably refers to it as "orange blob" -- contribute to the storytelling in any way? I think not.

Motion picture photography was invented to allow a photographer to capture images of objects moving through space. Your piece confronts us with a stationary figure and moves the camera about instead. Why, I must ask, does the camera whip from side to side? Why doesn't the figure move from location to location? Where is composition in this piece, framing and focus?

You create a tension between the lyrics of the rap and the visual image, but it doesn't take us anywhere: the rap tells a story, the visual image doesn't. Ideally a music video is evocative, like poetry. This is achieved through the juxtaposition of lyric and image. Study the work of others to see how this is done.

Better luck with your next project.

paulears's picture

I tried the whole thing and it's clear that you've actually got the hang of editing, can manage the application of the effects and the technical stuff fine - Jack mentioned the story telling, and that I think is where it went astray. The words tell a story, but this works with your eyes closed, and the video doesn't help, but rather confuses.

I'd be interested in what you intended it to be, because I bet that you really did have a plan and there is a theme to it, and things were not at all random, as they seemed - I suspect the problem was that we didn't get it.

Paul

digisidd's picture

I watched the video with the audio muted. I think you need to do some color grading. Some of the video clips are a bit dark. the lighting looks like the camera needs adjustment or you should shoot in brighter areas. It would have been nice to see a better variety of video angles. When you want the quick cuts the edit got redundant using the same angle clips over and over. The same for the effects. When used sparingly they look great. When used for most of the clips it makes the project look amateurish. The opening piece did not seem to fit with the rest of the video. I would also go for a different wardrobe. You look too suburban and not street. If you focus more on telling a story than just deliver an editing style your video will be improved.

Tjbenz's picture

Thank you all for watching and for the feedback!

paulears's picture

Why would we be interested in doing such a thing - we're decent folk here and clearly you're not - I hope the mods remove your stuff quickly as it's unwanted here.

tcastellano1986's picture

Op, I just found this video production company out of Miami and they're producing some very high quality content. Take a look at some of their storytelling and editing chops, it might help you! http://luminaryvisuals.com