Quick thoughts on the new Apple Mac Pro

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Quick thoughts on the new Apple Mac Pro

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

First things first:

I've used Apple products for quite some time, but I don't normally use a desktop to get my video editing work done. 

Even still, I think the new Mac Pro that was announced at Apple's WWDC event should be interesting to the video production community at large. It even seemed to be presented as a video editing machine by Apple's VP. 

Who I think it will really serve:

After Effects / Motion editors should be excited. The Mac Pro will be overkill for finishing off your HD documentary, but motion graphics always seem to need more power.

– Screen capture / instructional editors should also be excited. I personally make my records at 200-400% resolution, for added quality in zooming and moving around. This means the video I'm editing is actually 3K or 4K in size. Even a suped-up desktop workstation sometimes stutters through the edit session.

– Producers getting a jump on prosumer 4K video capture should be excited, too. By the time the new Mac Pro hits the shelves, a handfull of 4K-capable cameras will also be available. Since Final Cut Pro X is already 4K/5K capable, this Mac Pro should complete a nice package.

Since I dabble mainly in HD video documentaries and commercial work, and not motion graphics and animation, I have less of a need for the so-called 'heavy iron' workstations. A laptop connected to a fast external hard drive is all that I really need (and have needed) to deliver TV spots and social video content. Maybe 4K will change that. 

What do you think?

-Andrew

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

My only fear with the new Mac Pro is that we'll be limited in our video card options; i.e., no more and no less than what Apple offers right out of the box.

Other than that, I'm really excited for it. The cooling system looks potentially revolutionary and I can't wait to see what they have in store for 4k cinema displays! While they didn't announce anything, I doubt they would tout the 4k output capabilities yet not evntually try to sell us the (thunderbolt) screen itself.

Participant

Re: 4K displays…

Apple is hosting a suspicious Desktop Wallpaper for the new OS X Mavericks.

The wallpaper is 5160 x 2880 pix, whch is just double the resolution of their current big screen.

Hmmm…

http://gizmodo.com/os-x-mavericks-wallpaper-could-mean-retina-imacs-and-ci-512977344

-Andrew

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

Anyone want to place a wager on how much such a monitor will retail for?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap