Questions for a Profesional Videographer

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Open Forum Questions for a Profesional Videographer

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Inactive

I am doing a paper for school where I have to research a career that I am interested in.  I am researching being a Videographer.  A requirement of the paper is to interview someone who has the job we are researching.  My teacher is allowing us to use the internet to interview someone if we don't know anyone in real life.

Would anyone mind answering the questions below?  It would be greatly appriciated.

Name:
      Job Title:

Place of Employment:

How long you have been employed there:

1. What type of education and training did you have to do?

2. What is your work environment like?

3. What kind of people do you work with?

4. What does a typical day for someone in this profession look like?

5. How many hours a week do you work?

6. How secure is this job?

7. What are the skills needed to be successful in this job?

8. What can I do as a high school student to prepare for this job?

9. How has the job changed in the last 10 years?

10. How is the job going to change in the next 10 years?
      Inactive

Anonymous

Multimedia Production Supervisor

Offshore Oil Drilling Company

10 years

My answers will show you a different route a videographer can take with their career.

1. I have a bachelor's degree in Radio-TV-Film but I pursue ongoing training and continuing education.

2.  I have a lot of freedom to create since I am in a non-media company.  I am the only media expert here so many decisions are left up to me.

3.   You can choose to work with creative agencies, which are very free-spirited and more liberal fun work environments, although the work can be fast-paced and very stressful.  You can be an independent freelancer and plot your own course, though it can be difficult to really make a living this way.  I chose to work for a corporation for job security so I deal with many people who do not understand what I do or how I do it, which is good and bad.

4. Most videographers would spend a lot of time finding clients, pursuing leads, establishing relationships and networking to ensure they have steady work.  A typical day would involve getting up early to prep equipment, which you have probably started prepping the night or days before.  You would have to arrive at a location and have a short amount of time to set up lights, camera, sound equipment, etc.  You must make plans to deal with inclement weather.  You shoot the video and it could be a very long day.  Then, at some point, you either edit the video yourself, or turn it over to an editor.

5. You can work as many hours as you want.  It's all about how successful you want to be.  You could easily work 80 hours a week, including working on weekends.

6.The job of most videographers is not terribly secure.  many of them who work for themselves must handle their own insurance, payroll taxes, retirement savings.  These are things larger corporations can provide but you may give up some creative freedom and "fun" to work for a big company.  As a freelance videographer, and even at creative agencies, you must keep busy with clients and new projects.

7. There are the obvious skills needed for success in this field: technically, you must understand cameras and computers.  The less obvious skills you may need are the ability to "network" meaning you should get involved with people in your community who do this kind of work who can lead you to clients.  You may also wish to step outside of your shell and propose ideas directly to businesses who can pay you for your work if you think you can offer them something of value.  This is where storytelling comes in and it may be your most important skill.  Practice telling great visual stories and you will stand out among your peers.

8. As a high school student, learn and practice as much as you can.  The internet is an amazing tool for learning about videography and filmmaking.  I didn't have it when I was in high school!  Learn the basics first- take photography and photojournalism/video classes in high school.  All the new technology is just icing on the cake but what makes you a professional (besides being paid for your work) is mastering the fundamental skills of photography and videography, which include storytelling.  What I mean by that is, how often have you watched a great movie and thought "I wonder what camera they shot that with?"  It doesn't really matter as long as the story is there.  Videographers are typically documenting something that's happening in real life.  Those are the best kinds of stories to tell.  Learn how.

9. Technology has changed at an incredible pace in the last 10 years.  It has changed people's expectations of what a videographer can do.  Videographers have responded by investing in new equipment and learning new skills constantly- learning is a never-ending part of getting into this field.  All post production work is done on computers and the software can be very complex and presents many challenges.  If you don't make an effort to understand how it works, then you're called a "Producer".  πŸ™‚  Seriously though, you can get left in the dust.  Quit learning about the new camera technology for a year and come back to it and you'll feel like you've landed on another planet.

10. There are smart phones now that have cameras that rival some professional cameras these days in terms of features.  Now that the playing field is being leveled somewhat, It appears people are starting to care less about resolution and technical specifications and there's more emphasis on content and story, which is a great thing.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses β€” 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap