Question about an old camera

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I got this old camcorder from my grandmother recently, but I can’t seem to find too much info on it. All I know is that it can’t carry its own film and needs to be connected to some kind of VCR. The maker is Magnavox and the model number is VR8278BK01. Anyway, I can’t use it because I can’t find any of the necessary equipment with my limited knowledge of the camera, and I wouldn’t really know what to look for in the first place. All I have is the camera itself. I could post pictures, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to do that here… Anyway, any kind of help or info would be much appreciated!

I think my Dad had one of these in the 1980’s – one of the first portable amateur video recorders. The camera fed video to a separate cassette player/recorder you wore over your shoulder. If you could find one, not impossible, I’d very much doubt you’d be able to source a working battery. If you could restore it, don’t think there would be any point in using it to shoot video. The quality of video was way, way below what you today get with a mobile phone. Ours donated to charity or recycled long ago. Which latter I would recommend you do with yours. Maybe someone collects such things, you could try EBay.

here is a site that talks about these old video cameras. http://www.toirm.com/10pinvideofaq.htm
      I have a sears one that dad found in a thrift store and sent me. I think it’s just going to be a museum piece to hang on my wall. If you want to actually make it work you can either buy the female end of the connector and solder a yellow video and white audio RCA cable to it and a power connection or you can just cut the end and splice the wires directly. as stated in the previous comment, the work may not be worth the result.

Participant

The camera is actually a JVC – they made products at this time as OEM products, so Magnavox was one ‘brand’ while you would see them in the UK branded as Ferguson, or Baird, or I think Thompson for a while. VHS C size, not bad for the time – reasonably reliable, and simple to work. The viewfinders snapped off if you used them to lift the camera, which was easy for people to do.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best micro four thirds lenses — 2021

MFT, or micro four thirds, is a popular mount style used by many manufacturers in conjunction with the micro 4/3 sensor. It’s good to keep in mind that micro four thirds camera systems use a smaller sensor.
homicide-bootstrap