Pro Advice Needed–nikon lens compatibility with which entry camera?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Professional Camcorders Pro Advice Needed–nikon lens compatibility with which entry camera?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Gyanse1
      Participant

Hi,

Need advice– I have a Nikon D3 with a suite of lenses.

I'm looking to move from still photography into video–I shoot backcountry skiing,snowboarding and mountain biking.

I would like—something that I can store in a camera backpack/hike with and to be able to use my existing Nikon lenses with or be able to buy an adapter to fit them to use on the new camera.

– I heard that DLSR video cameras are hard to shoot ski/snowboard with because the focusing has lag issues?

What are the 3 best nikon DSLR cameras for video under 2000 for the body?

What are 3 other cameras for under 1500ish that I could buy and adapter for in order to use my Nikon lenses with?

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Cheers,

-RY

brunerww

Hi RY –  in my view, the 3 best Nikon DSLRs for video under $2000 are the:

$1997 D600 (FX) – weathersealed body, mic and headphone jacks, mirror blocks viewfinder in video mode, 30 min video clip length limit somewhat smaller than your D3. Here is what it can do (Nikon official video):

$897 D7000 (DX) – weathersealed body, mic jack only, mirror blocks viewfinder in video mode, 20 minute video clip length limit somewhat smaller than your D3.  Here is what it can do:

$797 D5200 (DX) – available in late Jan 2013, plastic body, flip-out articulated LCD, mic jack only, mirror blocks viewfinder in video mode, 30 minute video clip length limit significantly smaller than your D3.  Here is what it can do (please watch in 1080p):

All of these cameras will have full autofocus and automatic exposure with your Nikkors.  And yes, autofocus will be a little laggy in live view (video) mode.

The 3 best non-Nikon video cameras for your Nikkors under $1500 are the:

$1299 Panasonic GH3 – weathersealed body, mic and headphone jacks, flip-out articulated LCD, 1080/60p for full HD slow motion, electronic viewfinder continues to operate in video mode no video clip length limit, significantly smaller than your D3.  Here is what this camera can do in the snow:

– about $750 for a used Panasonic GH2 from Amazon Warehouse Deals – plastic body, mic jack only, flip-out articulated LCD, electronic viewfinder continues to operate in video mode, no video clip length limit, much smaller than your D3. Here is what this camera can do:

$1088 for a Sony NEX-VG20 interchangeable lens camcorder – plastic body, mic and headphone jacks, flip-out articulated LCD, 1080/60p for full HD slow motion, electronic viewfinder continues to operate in video mode, no video clip length limit, somewhat smaller than your D3 (online size comparison not available).  Here is what this camera can do:

High quality Novoflex lens adapters with adapter-based aperture control for these cameras cost $260 for the Panasonics and about $293 for the Sony. Voigtlander adapters are $179 for the Panasonics and the same for the Sony. If Novoflex or Voigtlander adapters are out of your budget range, you can get far less expensive adapters of Asian origin (about $25).  You will need to set your aperture and focus manually with all of these adapters.

I shoot with the GH3 and Nikkors.  Fabulous combination.

Hope this is helpful, and good luck with the transition to video!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

– 

Jordan
      Inactive

The only downside to the D7000 is it only shoots in 24 and 30. Other than that, they're all great cameras. 

Gyanse1
      Participant

Thanks.

Which would you buy?

brunerww

Ry – my vote is for the GH3.  Best value for the money at $1300.  Incredible video images, HD slow motion, robust weathersealed body, and a headphone jack for less than $2000. It is also compatible with your lenses with an inexpensive adapter.

This camera was released in September 2012 and has been shipped on limited quantities, but should be more widely available towards the end of this month. Still on pre-order at Amazon and Adorama, but if you need it now, you can get one from Taiwan on eBay for a $300 premium. And, as of this posting, there is at least one up for auction.

Good luck!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Jordan
      Inactive

If I were you, I would go with the D600 for the full-frame and compatability with the lenses you already have. But it all comes down to preference. Try to get your hands on as many of these cameras as you can so you can figure out first hand which one you like. 

Happy hunting 🙂

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Professional Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN