Pricing Starts When?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      TheSwoleNerd

I normally only charge for the time I spend working on a video (filming/editing +drive time), but recently I was at a job site for an extended amount of time “hanging out.” It’s freelance based work and my employer had to speak with the clients before hand that lasted for an hour.

So my question is this, should I charge for the time I had to wait around (1 hour) or should I just let it be? I’ll be doing a lot more work with this person so not just a one time thing, but I also feel if I let it be, I’ll be “hanging out” more often and wasting my time.

Kevin Mc

I would let them know that you normally charge by the hour starting the moment you arrive. However, “this time only” you’ll knock an hour off the invoice for the down-time – but not in the future. For clients who hire me for more than one job, I tend to be lenient. But, at the same time, we make our money by the hour, and every hour counts. Because of this, whenever possible, I give a flat-rate for many jobs, and outline exactly how many hours are included in that rate, and what costs extra. I make it clear in my contracts, when working by the hour, that the client is paying for my time, whether or not I’m behind the camera – and suggest to them that they be ready to go when I arrive. If you think about it, you could have spent that hour editing another job, or working on getting new business. So wasted time is costing you money, and the client needs to know that. Just my 2 cents…

JackWolcott
      Participant

We do a great deal of “job site” work with the construction industry. Rarely does shooting start when scheduled; we’ve often had “no-show” sub contractors and been sent home without taking cameras out of the bag.

Our solution was simple. We have a 4 hour minimum call, starting when we arrive on site. After that billing is hourly. It’s build into our contract and we rarely (if ever) make any exceptions. We have a check in and out sheet which we have the person in charge initial; there’s no argument that way.

RWS
      Participant

I like the idea Kevin, of a flat-rate for the work. Then specify extras that cost extra if they want to take those. That way it’s easier for me to estimate the amount of hours that I’ll need for the job.. as it’s pretty straight-forward work and extra difficulties go by an hourly rate.

and TSN, I tend to record every minute I spend on a client. From A to Z. Just for my own records. So I know exactly how much time I’ve used earning that amount of money. And find my ‘real hourly wage’ to keep an eye on me not working for nothing.
      But when on an hourly budget, I start from when I receive the footage and get going. Then I don’t really count phonecalls, but I do count meetings and travel time or travel expenses. I kinda find middle ground depending on the project.

In the case you described; being sat there while waiting. That’s never a good idea, so that should definitely be billed. That’s why it might become cheaper for a job to pay by the day then by the hour if they need you to wait for no reason.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.