Preview causing software to crash (Sony Vegas)

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Preview causing software to crash (Sony Vegas)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hey there, I recently updated from my good old Sony Vegas 7 to the Sony Vegas Pro 13. I have just had it for a couple of days but every time I try to edit and preview the raw footage I put in it goes super slow, plays without audio and in some cases makes the entire Vegas stop responding. As for preview settings I use Draft Auto or Small and with 30 fps (300 fps on the footage).
      On my Vegas 7 it sometimes went slow to preview if I had motion blur or several effects on it, but never on raw footage such as the issue I have now. So does anybody here knows how to solve this issue or where the problem could lay?
      If this is an issue only depending on my Computer is it the Graphics Card that should be upgraded? (Currently got an nVidia GeForce GTX 650 Graphics card and 8GB Ram)
      Thanks in advance, Calle

Participant

Disable GPU in your preferences and see if that helps.

Mike

Participant

What format are the files you're trying to edit? Are you matching the properties of these files?

Participant

Large uncompressed AVI files are always a stuggle to edit, even with a monster computer. A RAID Drive is pretty much mandatory for this type of file.

Out of curiosity, how are you getting 300 or 100 frames per second when the NTSC standard is only 30 and PAL Is 25 FPS.

Mike

I tried turning off the "GPU Acceleration of video processing" but still got the same result.

I can preview like 2 seconds, then the sound stops working and the program stops responding a second or so after. I've upgraded my hardware with a new motherboard, Graphics card (GTX 980 4G) and processor i7 4770k 3,5 GHz so I thought it would run fine with that but apparently not.

When I start a project it usually works decent, but then if I close it and starts the day after its all super slow and crashes every time I try to preview anything in it, not even pre-rendering ("SHIFT + B" not sure what its called) makes me able to preview small parts.

Must be some setting or something but its pretty much impossible for me to edit right now. 

The files I edit are uncompressed .AVI with 300 or 1000 frames per second and in 1280×720 or 1920×1080 resolution. I got a new computer with an Intel i7 4770k 3,5GHz CPU and an GTX980 4GB Graphics card so I thought it would run smoothly with this but apparently not. I explained my problem a bit more indepth on the comment above. 

Hi.

I maybe should have told this in the original post but I'm mainly editing game footage, so I capture ingame with either 300 or 1000 fps depending on what type of footage I need so that it wont get laggy when I use slowmotion.

I've been looking around in the settings and tried lots of different solutions that I found on youtube today and it seemed to have helped a bit atleast. The main things that I changed was setting "Enable multi-core rendering for playback" to FALSE (in the Internal preferences) and also played around a little with the "Dynamic RAM Preview max" values. So atleast its possible to edit now, even though it crashes every now and then.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs for video — 2021

These are the best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs on the market today, organized by use case. All are worthy of your hard-earned dollar.
homicide-bootstrap