Premiere or After Effects first?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I know you can say they have different powers or something, but if you were a video editing beginner looking to edit short movies and documentaries, which program would you start learning; Adobe Premiere or After Effects? … and which is more CPU/Memory demanding?

Altitude is not all the problem. Taking steps is more of it.

Participant

Premiere is an editing program while After Effects is a compositing/special effects program.
      Learn Premiere first and then AE when you feel comfortable with Premiere.

Mike

Participant

I use Sony Vegas Pro so I can't comment on Premiere or AE and their CPU/memory demands.

I strongly recommend checking forums for these two programs and see what other users have to say.

Mike

Participant

Both softawre are different work platform. Premiere Pro is for Video editing and After Effects is for Video Compositing go first with Premiere Pro it will gives you a good seance of combine editing part and then try for After Effects for more Spicial Effects on it………..

Participant

Both programs are very demanding on CPU and GPU depending on what effects you use. Both require plenty of CPU and RAM as well as GPU. PP is a little easier to use because it is easier to render parts of a clip to see your changes in real time. LIke RS170A said learn PP then get into AE as it has effect power and green screen capabilities like no other. Bottom line both require alot of CPU and RAM. Once effects are added GPU is very important I recently tested a PP render which was a 2:45 min clip withthree effects (tint, 3at coor,and G.blur) on the CPU it tool 11:02 to render. On my quadro K5000 it only took 1:40. Good luck and keep looking on YouTube for tuts hese program are worth the time

Participant

you will want to use premiere first. Edit the video the way you want it, then when you are ready to add special effects and compositions, swap it over to after effects.

Inactive

To be fair nearly every editing suite is complicated as sky pie. So if i was a beginier i would hopefully study up on tutorials before i used any editing program.

Participant

Adobe has said you want all the ram you can get on both the system and the videocard., As many cores you can get on the cpu and plus more than a single hard-drive for rendering. The best case being: one to read the video files from, a free scratch disk, and a drive to write the final files to. All Hard-drives should be direct connected and not through a usb or thunderbolt.  This is best way to reduce rendering times for a home user with a limited budget. Adobe does put out a great product pretty hard to knock it. Like a lot of new things there is a learning curve, but Adobe is great at insuring there are books to help for all their products.

I have used both and found Premiere Pro easy to use initially, once I got more experienced and experimental I moved over to using After Effects. I found a free trial from the following if you are wanting to try out Premiere Pro. https://goo.gl/vYFRVL

Participant

You can get going pretty swiftly on Premiere Pro, AE is much harder to master. Only snag will be the money side of things. Premiere Pro is now subscription, so even if you use the student discount (if you are one), not a cheap product.

Participant

Thank you, bro!

Participant

Thank you, bro! How about the CPU/Memory demands?

Participant

Essentially this. Learn Premiere first. It's a video editing suite and it's where you put your video together. Use AE to do special effects. They're both quite CPU/Memory demanding so be careful. What do you plan on editing exactly?

Participant

Ok very helpful. I was advised to use Premiere Pro first.

Participant

Excellent advice, Sua. This is a great challenge but is also what I love, so…

Thanks a lot!

Participant

I agree, but I would say Sony Vegas was the easiest to pick up when I've done editing. Sony Vegas was the first video editing software I used and picked it up quite easily with the occasional google something if I didn't know how to. But, Vegas is quite basic, it's completely fine to use if you just want to cut and put things together though.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2021

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap