Please help with FPS and AV settings

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hi!
      I want to shoot a promotional video of bicycle wheel lights which show a stable picture on the spokes when the wheel is turning.
      Now I am facing the problem that the frequencies of the LEDs and the camcorder frequency are similar and thus I get some “blank” segments in the video.
      What I tried is to shoot the video and change the settings on an iPhone 6, Samsung S7 an action cam and a Canon 1000D.
      The best result I received on the Samsung phone with the following video settings:
      – ISO 100
      – exposition (EV) +2
      – frame rate 30 FPS

Here is the result (with a wheel turning speed of 20-25 km/h):

And here is how it should be:

Could you help me with the settings? What do I need to change to get a blank-free picture?

Michael

Participant

Just a guess, but I would think it necessary for the shutter speed to fairly closely match the RPM of the wheel.

Back in the day, when video monitors were CRT, we would shoot at a 60th of a second or faster to match the scan rate of the monitor to avoid rollover. I believe you have the same problem/solution here.

Just popped in to suggest using a camcorder that can capture at 60 FPS, but Jack beat me to it. But even so, you might even require a higher FPS rate. A GoPro Hero4 can shoot as high as 240 FPS, and is reasonably priced. Might be a good platform to use, as it would give you several high frame rate options to test until you find just the right setting.

Jack and Kevin, thanks for the answers!
      I tried it with 60 FPS but it was not better compared to 30 FPS…
      The manufacturer of the LEDs informed me that they used an iPhone 6 with a “professional camcorder” App and the result was even better than in the promotional video above.
      Well, I tried a similar App on my Samsung S7 but didn’t get the result.

Bummer :(… I’m thinking that 120 or 240 FPS would help, as they are more likely to catch frames of the LED light cycles (Hz / refresh rate), that slower shutter speeds are missing. See if *anyone you know* has a GoPro Hero4, and give it a try before buying anything – just to find out if more FPS of video fixes your problem.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap