Pitching video ideas to organisations

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi – I'm just getting started in freelance videography and I have a question about producing multiple versions of a project (for different organisations) from the same footage.

I'm based in Australia, in case that makes any difference.

My questions are:

a) Would most organisations let me keep copyright of the vision I shoot for their project (should I expect/demand this)?

b) Do you think it would put an organisation off buying a video from me if they knew another org. was showing one that I'd made with very similar shots/interview grabs in it?  If so, am I obliged to tell them about the other video?

c) If I have an idea for a video I think a particular organisation might like, should I expect any commitment from them before I make it (or do I just make it, then see if they want to buy it when it's finished)?

Thanks heaps for any tips or advice!

Participant

There's no "right" answer to your questions: it's a matter of business ethics and contracts. You must sit down with a client and work out who-owns what and how what you shoot can be used.

For example, if you're shooting "B" roll footage of the Great Barrier Reef, a client might be perfectly amenable to having you use that footage on another project. Or they might say it's o.k. but expect you to pay a royalty to them — after all, you did shoot it on their time.

The important thing is to discuss this up front with your client and incorporate the details very specifically into your contract. No room for misunderstandings, nothing behind the client's back.

As for your last queston, I think you're better off having a committment before you begin any production work, rather than trying to sell a project on speculation. Pitch the idea to the organization and see what kind of interest they have. And don't be too surprised if they listen, like the idea, then hire another company to develop it. It happens all the time, simply a reflection of the lack of ethics in the business world.

Participant

Sabbott,

I’m a still Photographer migrating over to video. Negotiating usage rights is quite similar as with still photos. First off, it’s in your best interest to offer corporations “carte blanche” usage because that’s what makes it a lucrative deal for you. And the businesses you should be pitching to should be able to afford a buyout with no hesitation. Day rate for typical PR footage averages between $3500 and $1500 and includes a licensed use for news editorial use. A complete buyout for exclusive rights can easily earn you $5k – $10k or more. However, if your pitching to small non-profit organizations or small businesses; the clients tend to behave more adversarial towards the business of rights-management. This can make for an uncomfortable transaction and in my opinion your better off aiming higher towards blue-chip corporations. Though you can easily apply the © symbol to the final deliverable to establish a legal precedence that authorized managed rights. In regards to question c) …Hell yes you should expect a commitment! $$$… Look, first do your research, then submit your pitch in writing to the appropriate targeted person(s). Include the value and benefits of the project and outline the cost. Outline a payment arrangement if you feel the need to. Be tenacious about following up to get their consent. Getting the green light is often a lengthy process.

Good Luck!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap