Permanent lighting setup for workshop space used to shoot videos…

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Permanent lighting setup for workshop space used to shoot videos…

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey All!

I am a knifemaker and machinist, and I shoot a number of process videos as well as instructional videos in my workshop.

I've just moved to a new workshop and I'm trying to work out how I should setup the lighting in the space to be useful for both everyday work and video. I shoot video at different places all over the shop at different tool stations.

Right now the shop is equipped with 2 ceiling mounted fixtures, each carrying 4x T8-32W fluorescent tubes. There is also task lighting at each work station, which will be equipped with bulbs that match whatever other lighting I end up adding (in terms of color temperature).

There are no windows in the space, so light spill from sunlight is not an issue. The ceilings are 12-1/2' high, so I have quite a bit of space to play with.

Simply put I have a few questions:

1) Given that I don't have to mix with sunlight is there any issue with using warmer lighting? I can easily get 2700K, 5000K, or 6500K lights for the space but I generally find the 2700K lighting much more pleasant to work under. Will this this have any disadvantages that I should be aware of? (obviosuly I will set the white balance settings on my camera to suit).

2) What is the best lighting setup for a space like this? Should I just add a lot more fixtures to the ceiling? Should I setup some sort of key light (ring light maybe?) attached to my tripod so it comes with me when I move the camera from station to station? Should I bounce floods off the ceiling to use it as a diffuser? I'm kind of lost on this front…

I've included some photos of the space below so you can see what I'm working with!

Here's an example of a past video I did in my last shop, the space was much smaller and relatively easy to light in an acceptable fashion:

Any advice and input is appreciated! Thanks for your help!

-Aaron

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap