PC Build….I need recommendations

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hey guys, just wondering if my build is a good idea for video edting. I also want this to have 3d capabilities so that I can watch 3d movies in active 3d. If you have any recommendations, please tell me. I need this build to be under 2000 so if there is something cheaper that has similar specs, or something similarly priced that has better specs please tell me. I will probably be using premiere pro and after effects

CPU: Intel Core i7-4771 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Newegg) 
      CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC) 
      Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Microcenter) 
      Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($166.74 @ Amazon) 
      Storage: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($99.00 @ B&H) 
      Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.98 @ OutletPC) 
      Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($259.99 @ Amazon) 
      Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
      Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Microcenter) 
      Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
      Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($72.99 @ Mwave) 
      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($132.95 @ B&H) 
      Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($263.98 @ Best Buy) 
      Keyboard: Lite-On SK-1788/BS Wired Standard Keyboard  ($12.98 @ Newegg) 
      Mouse: Logitech MX310 Wired Optical Mouse  ($35.99 @ Newegg) 
      Speakers: Cyber Acoustics CA-3602 30W 2.1ch Speakers  ($40.98 @ Best Buy) 
      Other: Logitech C615 HD WebCam ($64.99)
      Other: NESSIE Blue Microphone ($99.99)
      Total: $2070.49
      Participant

I've built several computer for editing.  Just a few suggestions here:

If you live near a Microcenter (which I see you mention) then buy your CPU there– it should be cheaper than any place online– and see if they have any deals on other stuff too.  It's a great store.

Also, go with the 4770K.  The "K" means you can overclock it, and it's really quick and simple to do an easy (mild) overclock. 

The RAM looks expensive.  I'd go with a high quality set of RAM, but something maybe a little less (check techbargains.com) and try to go with 32GB.  I was rendering in Vegas tooday and my computer's RAM usage was at 14.5 GB, and I wasn't runing anything else. 

Samsung isn't my favorite company for personal reasons, but they make (arguablly) the fastest SSD's.  For $84 (at Amazon right now) you can  get their 128 GB 840 EVO (it's faster than the Sandisk you mention).  And you'll probably want 2 or 3 of them.  For me, 1 SSD holds the OS and programs, another holds the project media, and the third I render to.  I don't consider that to be overkill.  I'd probably get a 240GB ($144) for the OS and your programs.  My 128 is nearly full and I only keep OS and programs on it.

Also, I'd get a blu-ray burner, not reader, instead for about $75 (see newegg).  Also a definite change to make– get a HQ 27" 1440p monitor.  It makes a huge, huge difference and can be had for $300 or a little over.  Look at techbargains for a Monoprice or a refub HP.  You can also get a Dell 4K monitor for $569 right now, which is something I'd absolutely do, but I know I'm just making things more expensive for you.

The video card looks good but it might not be "supported" by adobe.  As of recently they supported the 650/750 then jumped to the 680/780, or something like that.  There's supposedly a work around, but I have a 660 ti and I haven't been able to configure it for Premiere Pro CC yet (though I've been kind of lazy about it).

To save money for the changes I recommended, I think you could skip the audio card given the MoBo you chose.  I've seen great cases (simple, black, premium) sell for $60 on techbargains often.  I just bought Win 8.1 Pro (to use like it's Win 7) for $80 off Newegg, so look out for a deal.  You can get a perfectly fine webcam for less, but YMMV.

Take it for what it's worth.  Good luck Reoboss!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap