Panasonic HDC-TM700 Upgrade to …

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have had a Panasonic HDC-TM700 for a couple years now and am looking to upgrade.  Mainly, I just shoot my son's hockey games and post to youtube but I def like have the high quality images to start with and currently record 1080/60p.  (Here are some vids to show the environment that I typically shoot in … http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv9sC0hKShKECY9SrZmbJ5Q).

I am thinking of upgrading to an AG-AC130.  Yep, I know.  Your prolly thinking why?  What you have is good enough.  Ok, I already have 1 wife …. b/c I want to.  But, I don't want to do it if I won't see a pretty dramatic improvement, or at least a perceivable improvement, in quality.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

-e

Be careful with the AC130. I have one, and I love it, but it may not be a great sports camera. The AC130 uses a CMOS sensor, which uses a 'rolling shutter'. Basically, the entire scene isn't imaged at once–it is scanned, line by line. Fast-moving objects can appear slanted, because the object is in a different position at the end of the scan than at the beginning. That could show up in your soccer footage. High-end editing systems like Premiere Pro can correct the problem, but I'd recommend a CCD camera if you plan on shooting a lot of sports. Panasonic makes a camera in the same range with a CCD, rather than a CMOS.

Hi e – just watched some of your hockey videos and they looked great. I didn't see any rolling shutter or skew The TM700 is a great little camera with a modern CMOS sensor that handles fast action just fine (I still have the TM900, and I love it).

I can't speak to the AC130's ability to shoot action, but it will be a real challenge to find a CCD camera that shoots 1080/60p and records to SD cards (the only one I know of is the JVC HM-150U, a camera with unimpressive image quality).

That said, here is a side-by-side test of the TM700 and the AC130.  This is a short OIS test, but you can also compare image quality (please watch at 1080p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xsGQpZBunk

In my view, for YouTube distribution, unless you really need pro audio inputs, a top handle, 3 lens rings, etc., the image quality difference between the "consumer" and the "pro" cameras is not worth the $3275 you would pay for the AC130.

You can improve your image quality for lot less money with the fast autofocusing, moire-resistant large sensor $1298 Sony RX10.  This camera looks like a still camera, but is actually the best camcorder in its class.  It has a much larger sensor than the AC130 (1" vs 1/3") and produces stunningly clear 1080/60p video like this:

Hope this is helpful, good luck with your upgrade and best of the holidays!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best 360 cameras available — 2021

360-degree video is a brand new medium driven by new 360 camera technology. However, its immersive qualities create unique technological challenges.
homicide-bootstrap