Panasonic AJ-PX270 or Sony PXW-X180?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I need advice on what camera to purchase. My choices are the Panasonic AJ-PX270 or the Sony PXW-X180 (to be released in August).

I’m a second year film student who has shot several shorts and own a Canon 60D. I want a prosumer video camera for run-n-gun, documentary, and event videos.

My budget allows me to spend about $6,000 for a camera. I have other money budgeted for other equipment. I’m looking down the road to have a professional camera to work with now and later to make money with.

I’ve done my research but would like the thoughts of experienced and professional video shooters on these two cameras. Thanks.

John

Participant

I would go with the AJ-PX270. B&H has a great $500 off promotion that shows up after you add to cart ($5249). This early bird deal may be due to fact Panasonic made an odd choice to go with the older battery type and the px270 currently lacks full 24/30p support for the LongGOP compression settings. The only other complaint I have is the power draw is insane. The D54 batteries last approx 60-80mins.

I picked up the camera thinking I could fly under the radar until Panasonic released the update, however, I ended up getting multiple requests for 24p for long 15+hour shoots where its not practical to shoot in Intra100.

The PX270 plus two 64gb P2 cards and 4 used CGA-D54 batteries should be a nice fit for your budget.

Participant

These cameras are very similar and I think it will come down to preference of media, feel, etc.  The bigger question for me is how does a film student have this much money to spend on a camera? 🙂   It really depends on what you are filming and how much work you have lined up but I always tell people starting out in the business to get work first and then get equiment to do the work…not the other way around.  I have no idea what your financial situation is, but I have met too many former film students who are in major debt from film school and equipment bought on credit…they are now out of the business.

Participant

I appreciate your comments.

I'm not your typical straving college student (I once was a long time ago). I'm going back to school on the GI bill after serving a long time in the military. Also, I am not and will not be in debt. Been there too. Not spending all one's money does have it benefits.

The difference in media (and their cost) is a concern. I had looked at the Canon X305 with good old CF cards. Perhaps I don't know what I don't know. I want a decent video camera with features that I could grow into and experiment with. Requirements: good quality lens and zoom; low light ability; separate rings for iris, focus, and zoom; good and big LCD screen (eye sight isn't as it once was). I like the idea of the variable ND filter on the Sony.

I could spend a little less on the camera but I wonder if I would regret a spending a little more to get more features.

John

Participant

I have been using Sony camcorders for a long time and I am a big fan ever since the days of the Z1, we film weddings and we have been using Sony FS100 cameras for 3 years, I like PXW-X180 but it could work out expensive in the long run, sxs cards can be costly and it dont have interchangable lens, my advice is if you can afford it buy Sony FS700 its geared up for 4k recording it has a full frame censor, nd filters, duel recording via FMU128 solid state drive and uses SD cards but best of all it has interchangable lens, you dont have to keep with sony lenses you can buy an adaptor to use any other lens manufacture Canon,Zeiss,Nikon.

If you can not afford it buy FS100 it want be 4K and only has an APS-C size censor and no nd filter, but you can always get a variable nd filter for the lens which we use for those sunny days.

All in all we love the FS100 you can pick them up second hand for around $4000.

P.s it also has super slow motion and timelapse.

Participant

Gemini

I have looked into the Sony FS700 and there is much to like about it. It would set me up for 4K in the future and the super slow motion and timelapse is a feature I would like to have. My concern is the form factor in trying to use it as a run-n-gun camera. Also, at 5' 6", I want to be able to access the controls under the LCD and see the LCD while the camera is on a tripod. I saw a friend of mine shoot with the FS700 while on a tripod and it looked like he was accessing some buttons by feel and memory.

John

Participant

John, you want get much more run and gun than filming a wedding and I can asure you, you want have any problem with it the lcd screen is a bit in a strange place but you do learn to live with it and you will get to know the camera, if you want and are looking for nice deepth of field with all that I said last time as far as I am concerned the sony is a no brainer for you, and alot better than DSLR. download the manual for both and compare.

Participant

Gemini, you make a convincing argument. I'll have to look at the FS700 again.

John

Participant

you dont need SXS cards in the Sony.  I plan to get this camera (over the Panasonic) and do not plan to purchase any SXS cards.  I believe there will be an SD card adapter in the box with the camera.  I am assuming that higher bit rate codecs will work with XQD cards which are dropping in price every day as well. 

But if you are open to looking at other cameras then take a look at the Canon C100.  I have owned it for over a year and it is the first camera I have truly loved since shooting with a Betacam.  (And I have owned about 30 of them over the last 15 years)  I use it for events, documentary, and it is the best run and gun interchangable lens camera out there for this type of work.  I have rented the FS700 and I'm sure I could get used to it, and it does have some advantages, but it was much more difficult to work with in my opinion.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Storage Buyer's Guide

The best digital storage for video editors — 2020

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap