Panasonic AG-AF100 vs AG-AC90A

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello,

I am selling my Blackmagic Studio camera ( a terrible purchase, I absolutely hate it). I have used the Panasonic AG-AC90A and found it very east to handle and the images are great. But I'm also considering the Panasonic AG-AF100A.  

The Panasonic AG-AC90A has Three 1/4.7" Full HD 2.19MP MOS Sensors while the AG-AF100A has  a Micro 4/3" MOS Image Sensor. I am assuming the images from AG-AF100A are superior, especially if an external recorder is used. Could someone explain the difference between these sensors? Also the ability to change lenses is a big plus for the AG-AF100A

Hi Wendy – these are two very different cameras. The $1689 AC90 is a small sensor traditional camcorder with an integrated power zoom – while the $1950 (used) AF100 is a first generation large sensor interchangeable lens camcorder.

The AF100 will give you shallow depth of field and the flexibility of interchangeable lenses – while the AC90 will give you better low light performance and a parfocal power zoom lens.

If you want your videos to look like this, with sharp images and deep depth of field, get the AC90:

If you want your work to look more cinematic, with shallow depth of field, get the AF100:

That said, there is a newer camera in this price range that combines a larger 1" sensor with a camcorder-style parfocal zoom lens – the ~$2300 Sony PXW-X70, which will give you shallow depth of field like this:

And image quality that looks like this:

Here is a review of this camera, you may find helpful:

The X70 is also Ultra High Definition ("4K") ready with a paid upgrade in 2015 – so it is a little more future-proof than the Panasonic cameras.

Hope this is helpful and best of the holidays!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Panasonic AG-HMC150 Memory Card Usage

Has anyone successfully used a 64GB SDHC Memory Card in the Panasonic AG-HMC150 Camera?
    Just wondering if 32GB is the largest card it will accept?

I have been using a Sandisk 32GB card in it for a while now and wanted to step up to a 64GB card for more footage storage space but my Panasonic AG-HMC150 will not recognize the 64GB cards.
    I have tried a Sandisk Ultra 64GB and a Sandisk Ultra Plus 64GB both class 10 cards.
    My Panasonic AG-HMC150 gives message that no card is installed when 64Gb cards are installed.

My Panasonic TM700 camera will read both of the 64GB cards just fine.
    I tried google searching the problem, but found nothing concerning this issue.

Anyone have any answers on this subject?

Thanks a lot.

• Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Storage Buyer's Guide

The best digital storage for video editors — 2020

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
    homicide-bootstrap