Panasonic AC 130 Artifacts?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I picked up some rather odd transient artifacts in some interview footage that I shot with my Panasonic AC 130 camcorder. The camera has a CMOS sensor, but the artifacts aren't the type of 'rolling shutter' glitches One would see in sports footage.

Rather than trying to describe the artifacts, I have compiled a one-minute reel that shows five instances of the artifacts in the interview, which I have posted on Vimeo. I am hoping someone can look at this reel and help me understand what causes these glitches, and how to prevent them. Thanks for your help!

I got several comments on the Vimeo page, and I came to the conclusion that the glitches were media-related. I did a low-level check and reformat of my SD cards in Windows, and then I reformatted them in the camera. The last step is particularly important. It's only a high-level format, but it initializes the folder structure that the AC130 needs to generate AVCHD video.

I solved my problem, and I thought I'd post what I've learned in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

My issue was media related. I had been using SanDisk Extreme SD cards, with a Class 10/U1 speed rating. The listed data transfer rate (DTR) on the cards is 45 MB/sec. I switched to SanDisk Extreme Pro SD cards, which have the same speed rating, but which have a listed DTR of 95 MB/Sec. I haven't seen any artifacts or glitches since I switched.

I suppose the moral of the story is to depend on the DTR on the card. Class 10 wasn't fast enough for my camera, and neither was a U1 rating–U1 appears to be a rough equivalent of Class 10, and it does not guarantee a DTR that is sufficient for HD videography. For my Panasonic AC130, 45 MB/sec was too slow, but 95 MB/sec is sufficient.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap