Optimal Hard Drive Set-up

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I just have a question about the ideal hard drive setup for my system, which is actually pretty outdated, but I don't have the money to get a new computer right now.  I have a 2009 15-inch macbook pro with a 500gb SSD running the OS and programs.  Then I've got the original 500gb drive that came installed in the computer plugged in where my DVD superdrive used to be.  I've also got a Western Digital My Studio Pro 2tb external drive with firewire.  As for software, I'm using Adobe CC.  

I'd just like to know what the best setup would be as far as storing my video files, cache, render and preview files.

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

In my experience, an external drive connected with USB 3 or Thunderbolt is fine for your daily work. Video and render files are fine running off external drives unless you're working with very high bitrate footage.

Archiving files on the other hand is tricky. I have a 1TB USB 2 drive at home, but that's pretty insufficient. That drive could die any day. To be totally safe, you need to back up to two drives or a mirrored RAID. G-Tech and Lacie both have pretty good options, but they can get kind of pricy compared to standard external drives.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap