Opinions on my short summer/nature video?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      I've just made a short kinda summer/nature video and would like some feedback, advice and opinions.
      I love making videos and want to grow and grow with it, so anything would be greatly appreciated. It's nothing amazing, i'm no expert.. but I would like to be one day!

If anyone's interested – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUNaFZAB1eI

Participant

Hey,

Nice work indeed. Edit is great and the music choice really lends itself to the piece.

I guess my only real feedback is in terms of the font style/colour.

I would recommend moving away from text outlines. I think you should remove the dark grey/black outline and try a few font colours that compliment the background, but don't necessarily blend into it.

Also, it doesn’t need to be that size, nor in the middle. Try moving it to a corner or offsetting it a little at a smaller size. That might generate some intrigue, which is exactly what the entire video did for me. Just my opinion of course so you need not take it as a fact J.

Also I like how short it is. Some people would have made this same video but it would have been 3 to 4 minutes long. Short and sweet and trim the fat.

Again … Nice work

Participant

Hi happyfrogs44,

You are a brave videographer indeed to invite opinions of a video on a forum! However, it is also a great way to get better at your craft so I congratulate you.

I would also second John's opinion. A solid yellow font is an odd choice for the flow of your video and outlined text, unless for a children's television show or for a carnival, should always be avoided. It tends to look like the default text option in Final Cut Pro. I would also encourage you to use a thinner, whispier font placed in the lower third of your screen. I think that would lend itself well to the editing style and musical feel of your piece. 

Other than that, I think it's a great start! If you just keep making videos like the one above, you'll get better in no time.

Dan Bruns

Participant

Also John, I wanted to say that I thought your blog was really cool. I like the idea of being able to share your experience of diving into the video world with other people who may be in the same boat. I know that I'll be keeping tabs on your blog and hope to hear from you more often on Videomaker's forums!

All the best,

Dan Bruns

Participant

Thanks Jon! I just saw another post you made on video apps. Well done! I'll be seeing you around.

Dan

Participant

Really means a lot to me Daniel. I wanted to do something with my site as it had been sitting there for years getting little traffic so it really is a personal log of information that I would love to have read before trying to start a career in the videograhy world.

And if you want, go ahead and subscribe to my newsletter (found on the sidebar of the site). I will send out emails when I make any future updates.

Thanks again!

• Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
    homicide-bootstrap