Opinions needed

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

HI everybody,

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to videomaking.

i discovered my ultimate passion very late and I cannot afford university courses right now so basically I'm doing what I can with what I can afford and looking for any chance of improvement.

I have a canon 60d, 18-55 lens at 3.5 and 55-250 lens at 4.0, macbookpro with final cut 7 and one soft box light.

I know I have a long way to go and things to learn and I'm trying to improve through every clip by learning from mistakes I've made on the previous one.

This is my Vimeo page: http://www.vimeo.com/claudiobombaker

Please guys let me know what you think, any opinion and suggestion is welcome!

Should I improve my equipments first or should I concentrate more on theoretical stuff, or should I really go to school or look for someone's help? Should i keep going by learning through practice?

I have  a lot of ideas for shorts/clips but also full lenght stories, but  I want to know how to procede without releasing further stuff with no improvements.

Waiting for all your replies!

Hi claudiobadr,

I'll answer your questions:

1.  Should I improve my equipment first or should I concentrate more on theoretical stuff?

You can create good video regardless of what equipment you use.  There is a growing list of feature films that were shot using smartphones.  That said, your tecnique is what is important.  Focus first on improving your skills.  You will eventually want to upgrade your equipment to compliment your mad video making skills, but cross that bridge when you get to it.

2.  Should I really go to school or look for someone's help?

This depends on what is available to you.  Film school can be relatively expensive.  I know a great many videographers that did not go to film school, myself included.  They, instead, worked with someone that has a lot of experience in media and learned from them.  Myself, I take every oportunity to learn new tecniques by reading, watching videos on YouTube, etc.  One good resource is Videomaker magazine.  Get a subscription.  It doesn't cost much, and there is a lot of good knowledge to be learned with each issue.  A good YouTube channel to subscribe to and watch is Film Riot.  Ryan Conolly, the host of said YouTube channel, has been to film school.  He's very creative.  He's funny, and his videos simultaneously teach and entertain.  Check it out.  Don't get me wrong.  Film school is a good thing.  If it is an option for you, take it.  But it is not 100% necessary in order to be successful.

3.  Should I keep going by learning through practice?

Duh!  Yes!  You can't become a master of anything you're not doing.  Any film teacher will tell you that even if you're not going to school to learn this industry, the best thing you can do to learn is just get out there and shoot.  Create something.  Take a step back from it and look at it.  Discover what could have been done better, and then do it better next time.  Repeat.

I hope these tips help.  Good luck.

Participant

thank you very much for your reply!.. but i would like also more specific opinions on my shorts on my page. I'd like to know what other filmmakers think about them and what good and/or bad they see in it.

I think a honest opinon from another filmmaker that is not in direct competition can be very insightful, especially people on this board that have presumabily more experience than me so far.

Sorry about that.  The other day, the link seemed to be broken.  I can access it now, though.  The Nayoka Oware @YLC video is the best one that I saw on your Vimeo page, so I'll start with that one.

The videography looked OK.  I did like the fast-motion stuff, although it could have been better with some sort of steadycam to smoothen out the motion.  The big killer here is the audio.  A lot of people starting out in making videos don't realize that the audio is as important as what is on the screen.  If you're watching a video, and the video that you see is shaky or unclear, but it sounds good, your brain will somewhat forgive the poor video that your eyes see.  Flip that coin over.  If you're looking at beautiful 4K footage, but you can't understand what people are saying because of the poor audio, you're likely to click on another thumbnail that catches your eye off to the right side of the screen within the first 15 second of the video that you're watching, just to get away from what you're currently watching.  I noticed that a lot of people were using microphones.  That could have been used to your advantage.  If you can't capture that audio from their sound system directly into your camera (and you probably couldn't with the 60D), then you could have at least connected an external audio recorder to their sound system, and then synchronized the audio and video in post.  Often, audio is the key difference between rookie and pro quality.

I also watched Day Off.  Some of the shots were too long, like the alarm going off at the beginning.  The camera was on that way too long while the audience waits for her to come on screen and turn it off.  Personally, I would have shown the alarm going off for a second, maybe two, and then cut away to her getting out of bed to turn it off, just so that the viewer's brain doesn't get bored.  After that, it seemed like the camera just followed her around (mostly from behind) watching her do unimportant things while she walked away from the camera.  I did like some of the cuts, where you could hear a second or two of audio from the next cut before that cut actually came into view.  But overall, there wasn't much here to keep an audience from clicking to the next video.  It also could have been shot in high definition, 16:9 aspect ratio.  The 60D has that capability.  Instead, it was shot in standard definition, 4:3 aspect ratio.  HD would have looked better, and some color grading could have given it that filmic look.  It also could have used some better stabilization, especially in the hand-held shots.  Again, some kind of steadycam would have helped there.

Now, with all this, don't stop doing what you're doing.  I commend you for just getting out there and shooting.  Practice and experience is how you will dial in your skills.  Again, get a subscription to Videomaker Magazine, and read each issue from cover to cover.  (I don't work for Videomaker.  I just know that there is a lot of knowledge to be gained there.)  Watch short films on YouTube, and pay attention to their camera movements.  Subscribe to the Film Riot YouTube channel, where you can learn some really good DIY tricks, and see how people in Hollywood do some of the things they do.

I hope this stuff helps you.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  Good luck to you.

Participant

mcrockett, you rule!

it was exactly the kind of tips i needed, i agree with mostly all you said, i see your points..and thanks especially for pointing me out the importance of audio!

i'll upload my first music video to see, hopefully there will be some improvements already:)

thanks again!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap