one man team discussion and rant

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello,

Here is my dilemma: I’m a one man team, most of the time. I’d like to have the smallest, lightest amount of gear I need to do my job of adventure videos and news casting.  Have I looked at gopro? No. Is that the best to do? How is the sound on that device?

Areas of concern:
      1) Lighting, how do I get over lighting in dark areas?  I just purchased an LED light that has a standard tripod thread.  I also purchased a hold arm that I use for the lighting. 

2) Sounds recording, I use a cheap mic and the output is cheap.  Where do I go from here for equipment? $500 mic or $5,000 mic?  Do I need to just go to external recording and sync later?  Is that the best?  Do I need training for that and how will my editors respond or what will they expect?  Is there a good article about making the transition from one price range to another?

I currently use 3 cameras for shooting. Is a mic in the $100.00 range with a 3.5 mm jack adapater out of the question.

A) My Galaxy S3 phone (yes, I'd like to get a mic that I could use for this)
      B) Cannon HF 200, uses the 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack
      C) Cannon Rebel T31 has a 3.5 mm mini-jack (though the online specs do not sure an audio jack input).

3) Stabilizer, I currently have a Jayblizer, and looking at the gilder pro. BUT, I’m looking for something smaller, light weight that I can use in adventures, in crowded areas, that I can quickly get up and going.  Should I instead opt for a gliding monpod? There is a Dragon stabilizer 1 on sell, but is that going to get the job done or be a hassle of a setup like my jayblizer?

Remember, I might be by myself, so to be able to check audio levels while I record might be difficult.

I almost feel like there needs to be some new equipment made for one man teams that get the job done.

Feedback and Rants welcome.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap