One lens: 24-80m vs 50m

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Advice for a starter please: I’m shooting a short documentary. It’s on the fly and I’ll be following a party of people on an expedition, so I won’t be able to do a huge amount of planning.

I’ve got a sony a7s and I have £600/$800 for a lens. Should I go for a versatile but very bulky second hand 4 yr old canon I’ve found, it’s a F2.8 24-80, with my metabones adaptor. It’s very heavy but useul. Hpw does that compare to getting a new sony F1.8 55m? They’re similar prices (£550). The first is versatile but bulky, the second, lighter but limited shooting.

I’ll be grateful for your suggestions.

JackWolcott
      Participant

Given the facts of the shoot as you describe it, I’d opt for the versatility of the f2.8 24-80 over the fixed lens. It will give you more opportunity to remain unobtrusive while filming and will enhance your ability to compose your shots on the fly.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Classifieds’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN