Noob here – what is a good camera to start with for 1k or under?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Noob here – what is a good camera to start with for 1k or under?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      sullyllus

Hope to film weddings and corporate trainings. Really would like to buy something and get going soon, but can't go higher than 1K right now. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EarlC

Anything in the Canon Vixia series is worth consideration, with most falling in the gneral ballpark of your indicated budget range. They run from about $400 to $1,500 and do a decent job of acquiring the imaging you need for general wedding and/or training production video.

brunerww

sullyllus – the Vixias are great cameras, but I would avoid consumer palmcorders for pro work.  If you can stretch your budget just a little, you can get a Panasonic AG-AC7 shoulder mounted camcorder for $1136.  The shoulder mount looks more professional and will help you to keep your shots steadier (without spending extra money for a shoulder rig). It shoots 1080 interlaced only, but it is a good beginner pro camera and can produce quality video in high definition.

Here's a wedding video shot with the AG-AC7 (watch in 720p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w12V7jn7xbo

Short narrative video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2ubyQywC_g

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

chuckzootz
      Participant

I have three Vixias, nad today I have a performance to shoot with them. I too will recomend the canon Vixia cameras, in particular Vixia HF G10, its a litle more money thatn the rest of the canon offerings but the performance of the camera is worht the investment

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN