Nikon D750 How to remotely start and stop video Recording?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders DSLR’s Nikon D750 How to remotely start and stop video Recording?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi There,

I use a D750 to shoot wedding. The Church often impose position and restrict movement during the ceremony. My plan to get around this limitation is to setup unattended cameras and control them remotely.I have been searching for months but all I can do is to control photo-shoot remotely but not Video recording. If my DSLR could record an hour long ceremony non stop it will be great too but I can’t record more than 25mm non stop.
      Thank you for your help.

Participant

According to the camera specs there is a remote controller for this model, which should allow you to start and stop the recording remotely. Maximum record time for the D750 is 1920 x 1080 at 60 fps: 29 minutes, 59 seconds, however

Probably time to look for a different camera. The Sony NX5U, for example, records a total of nearly 6 hours on its two memory cards, while the Sony X70 can record to 64gb cards that will handle nearly nine hours. I’m sure there are many other cameras that will shoot more than 30 minutes as well.

Years ago, before we stopped shooting weddings, we addressed your problem by placing a camera near the altar mounted on a Bescor pan/tilt head. We ran two 100 foot cables from the camera to the rear of the church: a Bescor cable from the pan head to the controller and an RCA cable to a monitor so we could see what the pulpit camera was seeing. We were shooting with Sony PD-150s and would use an 83 minute tape to guarantee covering the entire ceremony. The pan head gave us the flexibility to shoot the bride as she came down the aisle and to pan over to shoot the ceremony itself. It would also allow us to pan to the audience during the ceremony for “B” roll material.

Once you address the time limitation issue with your cameras you might want to consider SlingStudio, a new portable video production system that allows you to wirelessly capture multiple video streams from different sources – this would seem ideal for what you are doing.
      The system can connect to up to 10 video sources and monitor up to 4 simultaneously.
      For post production editing an external hard drive can be added and SlingStudio recommend the (Seagate) LaCie Rugged USB-C portable device as it’s specifically designed for durability on the move.

While perhaps not required by you currently, there is also functionality to stream video live through YouTube or Facebook etc. – this is an interesting additional feature of the system which could be useful if someone was unable to attend the event through illness or other commitments.
      The beauty of it is that it can all be contained in a single backpack and being wireless, set-up time should be greatly reduced.
      Let me know if you’ve seen or used this before or if you’d find it useful.

NoelMc

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap