Newbie needing help: blurry video after rendering from a DVD

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Newbie needing help: blurry video after rendering from a DVD

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jo Luci
      Participant

I'm just a video editing novice but I've had the chance to do several low-key video projects for family and friends over the years. It's fun. But I have a LOT to learn. 

Anyway, a major problem I'm having right now. A friend gave me some DVDs of a conference she taught, and she wanted me to add some info to the video at the beginning and end, and prepare a file for uploading to the internet. 

So what I've done is copy the files off the DVD onto my computer (no special program, just dragging them onto my hard drive). Then I open them with Sony Vegas Platinum 11 (my editing workspace) and they are .VOB files. The video looks ok when I'm editing. Not great, but what you'd expect from copying off a DVD. 

However, when I try to render the video to a 30fps, 1280×720, .mp4 file (if that's not good info LMK) it comes out blurry. Not clear. Poor quality. It sucks. 

Could you let me know if possible what I'm doing wrong and how I can correct this?

Thanks in advance for any advice!! 

JackWolcott
      Participant

The problem is that you're coming from a highly compressed source format — mp2 — and further compressing the video into mp4. I doubt you can do much to improve the image quality.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best microphone for YouTube — 2021

One of the most common mistakes beginning video producers make is to overlook audio. Little do these beginners know that audiences are quicker to stop watching a video because of lousy sound quality than they are for poor video. Sound...
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.