Newbie and Uploading Question

Randy Lawson's picture

First and formost I am new to this site and forum.  I am also very new to creating videos. I have taken thousands of still images over the last 7 years and have become fairly good. With that said, I have alway wanted to expand my knowledge and skills in creating more action.  I love wildlife photograph and seeing motion brings my storys a little more life.  My ideas are to create small movies 3 or 4 minute action movies of wildlife and birds and upload and share with my friends and facebook friends. This brings me to my question and please forgive me, I am sure this has been asked hundreds of times.

Why is my uploading to Utube taking for ever.  Am I doing something wrong. I know a little where my internet speed is a large part of the upload time but I am trying to upload video with a file size of 300 to 400 MB and it has takens to 10 hrs to accomplish this.  I want to learn more and expand my knowledge and experience but if it takes that amount of time. I am not sure if I want to be that committed..

There are any place read or watch to learn more about file sizes and uploading I would appreciate it.. Sorry for the long post.  Thanks in advance and looking forward to any and all responses.

Michael Stehly's picture

I use Vimeo.  The website has an explanation of the cost per month depending how large your files are.  Any files up to 500MB are free.

Michael Stehly's picture

I have noticed recently that their uploading is faster.

Michael Stehly's picture

It is very easy to email your files for viewing.

Michael Stehly's picture

What editing program do you use?

Dave Van De Cappelle's picture

Youtube takes forever to Upload because at the same time you upload your video, there are millions of people around the world uploading their video at the same time.

Palladini

Ontario Canada

paulears's picture

Even with high speed fibre optic internet, while download is swish, upload is always slower - but that said, big files rarely take me longer than 15 mins to upload - this is entirely dependent on your internet - Vimeo and Youtube have massive bandwidth, the delays are all at the user's end.