New to filming, need help

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello everyone – I am new to filming and my wife and I have been going on some rather expensive hunting trips.  I now realize that I should be filming these.  We usually go one at a time so I figured that I could film her while she hunts and then switch.  What kind of gear would you recommend for a good picture and stability in tuff terrain?  Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Participant

Depends on several things. I worked in the hunting industry for quite a while, still do part time and have filmed many hunts from AK to the Midwest. If your hunting wide open areas and taking rifle range shots your lense choice may be different than what you might want for say bowhunting the midwest for whitetails. For an all around camera the Sony NX-70 is a good tough camera that will survive getting wet and in those dusty western early seasons. Then of course there is price.

I prefer something I can adapt with one to two lenses but that might be more than what you want to get into as it incorporates a lot of manual function. It never hurts to have a POV cam, so since its season right now, I'd get into a Gopro or Sony action cam. While your out trying to capture some footage with it and thinking about a main camera, it might draw your attention to just what you are actually looking for and give you some insight as to how much you want to get invlolved with editing as well. That information could be helpful. 

But to better help you with your question we'd need a bit more information. Like are you more of a bowhunter or a rifle hunter? Just big game or duck and other things?

Woody

Participant

First, thank you for the comment. It will be rifle hunting big game.  We have a kodiak bear and dall sheep hunt approaching.  I have time but I don't want to procrastinate.

I would definately want to get invovled with editing too.  Would I need to purchase seperate software, would it come with the camera, if not then what software would you recommend?

Participant

Also, what should I do about keeping stabillity?  Is there a shoulder mount that I can attach the camera to?  What would be your suggestion for that?  Remember, I am as green as you can get.  I will need to be taken by the hand and put on the path.    Thanks.

Participant

Yeah, so I looked at the Sony NX-70 and that is far out of what I want to spend at this time.  I was hoping to not go over 500.

Participant

Seems like the GoPro is the way to go for you. You can buy a chest or headstrap mount and that should keep the footage pretty stable plus give you the action shots that will make you video more interesting. I've used my GoPro on hiking adventures and mountain climbing and love the look that it gives me.

Participant

Not going over 500 is a brick wall. But that doesn't mean you can't capture something you really enjoy with a POV cam like a Gopro. As far as software, the new version of Da Vinci Resolve lite has enough editing power and certainly enough color grading power to handle what ever you need and its FREE. Out side of that you will have the GoPro studio and the two together will be more than what you need.

I used to design broadheads for a living and lived in AK most of my life so I know what you are getting into, I've bowhunted all over AK. I couldn't recommend anything under 500 that will take the possible abuse of the hunt there and come back in a usable condition outside of the POV cam's. Plus you can easily find a way to get a second GoPro to add to the mix.

I would look at adding something like a zoom H1N to the mix for getting better audio when you can pull it out and its a small recorder that you can waterproof in a ziplock bag. They are under 100 bucks but well worth it.

A POV cam is not a bad place to start. You just need to start before going on a hunt so you get the hang of things.

Hi Chadillac – you might want to take a look at the $500 Panasonic FZ200 still/video camera.  It has a 24x zoom and a mic jack for an external mic if you want better sound.  It also has a constant f2.8 lens for good performance in low light.

Here it is recording deer in an Idaho park (please watch at 720p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6FtTzNsvUI

Here it is on a pheasant hunt in the snow:

I have an earlier version of this camera and, for the price, it produces great video.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Hi Chadillac, I am film-making lover, recently I find that there is a good tool to help make my photos, songs and clips into a film, it is BlazeVideo SmartShow, when you travel back, you can use this kind of app to make your own special movie to record down happy hours.

Stability . . . . . . just remember that longer the lense ( ability to magnify a subject to make them appear closer ) the harder it is to get a stable picture. A sturdy tripod at best, a monopod at the least. Zoomed in, handheld will result in a jittery image. Without a high power lense ( zoom ) you may never be able to photograph your prey adequately. A GoPro camera wuld be fine for documenting the hunters . . . . 

Participant

I totally agree with you chest or headstrap mount are best options for action shots. I tried them few times and i love to use while action shot. You can capture reaaly amazing shots with them.

Participant

Use of tripod are perfect for moving photography. Yo can easily handle jittery image.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best 360 cameras available — 2021

360-degree video is a brand new medium driven by new 360 camera technology. However, its immersive qualities create unique technological challenges.
homicide-bootstrap