New here! Looking for VHS advice!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi folks!

I'm a long time Videomaker lover – had a subscription back in the 90s!

I've been trying to get back into messing around with VHS editing.  I'm looking for a good place to get advice about things like a professional editing deck, time base correctors, upscalers, etc.  Any suggestions on a good forum or website dedicated to VHS stuff?  Thanks!

Participant

The obvious place is ebay:  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XVHS+editing+deck&_nkw=VHS+editing+deck&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Myself, I just use a Matrox RTX2, in one of my desktop PCs.  I also employ a VCR/DVD player.  My editing software is Adobe CS5.

Whatever path you choose, good luck!!

Participant

Thanks!  I'm wondering if there are users out there who have experience with professional VHS decks

like this: http://www.dilette.com/main/dilettesales/Images/Panasonic_AG-7350_01a.jpg

Participant

I used to have an edit suite with a pair of those decks but retired it several years ago with the switch to digital (i.e. computer) editing.

Even the grade schools and high schools that I'm familiar with dumped their VHS suites years ago and are now using free software like iMovie or Windows MovieMaker.

Mike

Participant

One alternative to capturing video from a VHS deck is to use an older DV camcorder that has an 'Analog to Digital' passthrough.  Several companies offered this option.  I had an Canon brand camcorder (not sure the model no.)that did this quite well.  Maybe you can borrow one from someone or find one on eBay.

Participant

What we're trying to steer you to is minimimizing acquiring outdated equipment.  Not only will you be at risk of failure but doing the same tasks is SO much easier with newer technology.

If I might suggest trying (free demo) one of the video editing software platforms.  If you have any digitized video, import it and experiment.  I assure you, it'll be worth the investment of your time.  For an example, I was able to enhance a totally unwatchable wedding video.  The videographer was not prepared for the low light conditions in the chapel.  My results weren't perfect but at least MUCH better than the original.

Please bear in mind you will need to choose a product to capture the video from a VCR (one that produces acceptable quality). Here, you also get what you pay for…

Participant

THe great thing about finding an older camcorder as theonecanoe suggests is that the tape transport part of it doesn't have to work. As long as the electronics portion work, that's all you need to accomplish this task.

Mike

What I normally do with my VHS tapes is I copy them using a Sony deck DVD direct and then pull them into my Adobe premier Pro cc and do my editing their it's a lot easier.  I do have a professional VHS deck.  I would have to dig it out of the cave or wherever I stored it.  But again, you can purchase a VHS to USB conversion for around $65 and load your video straight from VHS into your computer for editing.  It's a lot of fun.  It just takes quite a bit of time.  Good luck John Henry

Participant

Is there anyone here who has a lot of experience in the professional VHS field?  I want to learn more about upscaling and time base correction.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I do work in digital editing as well, this is more of something I want to do because I enjoy working with tapes and like the aesthetic of them.  Mainly I would like to get an editing deck, upscaler, time base corrector and then use that to great imports into the computer and then edit on there.

i'm hoping that some of this equipment will have depreciated in value over the years!

"  Mainly I would like to get an editing deck, upscaler, time base corrector and then use that to great imports into the computer and then edit on there. "           Maybe I'm wrong, but my instincts tell me that you'd do better:  VHS deck – into TBC – into analog to video converter – into computer NLE – and do your " upscaling " in the computer software.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best 360 cameras available — 2021

360-degree video is a brand new medium driven by new 360 camera technology. However, its immersive qualities create unique technological challenges.
homicide-bootstrap