Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews › Forums › Videomaker › Tips and Suggestions › New forum sucks!
- November 13, 2012 at 7:36 AM #51886HarlinParticipant
I dont know if any others are experiencing this but the new forum layout absolutely sucks.
Its very hard to navigate and unintuitive. Some may love it, I dont.
- November 13, 2012 at 7:55 AM #204820DanParticipant
This forum used to be #1 on my list, but now last, if visited at all – much more, easily scanned info elsewhere.
- November 13, 2012 at 8:07 AM #204821Mike WilhelmKeymaster
The forums are not where we want them to be. Currently our team is working on a re-designed forum interface that should be rolling out soon.
Out of curiosity, what are some of the other forums you look to as having good layouts?
- November 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM #204825JackWolcottParticipant
Mike, I think the cleanest, most easily accessible and functional forum layouts are to be found in the Sony Vegas/Movie Studio forums. Forums such as those hosted by Creative Cow strike me as very cluttered and difficult to navigate.
Actually, I never found anything to gripe about with the former Videomaker forum structure. Worked for me for several years.
- November 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM #204826dagunnerParticipant
It was not broke and was not spammed. Fire those whom sold you all on this "new" forum.
Wait! Was it a Democratic plot?!?!
- November 13, 2012 at 1:11 PM #204827Mike WilhelmKeymaster
Jack- Are these the forums you're refering to?
- November 14, 2012 at 8:52 AM #204835DanParticipant
Yes, keep it simple, like the forum linked above…quick scan for needed information. The software for this is a no-brainer which any web developer should be able to set up in a matter of minutes.
- November 14, 2012 at 12:24 PM #204837
Extremely disappointed with the new layout, very uninutative, and just plain lame. Bring back the old or get something else – this just doesn't cut it.
- November 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM #204838
Also, I just noticed that my icon avatar I was using (our logo) is gone and now there is just an outline of a person. And, you want me to pay again next time for this? Hmmmmm….not sure that is going to happen – perception is everything. What happen to the Spell checker? Normally, what existed in a prior release becomes a baseline – what happen here?
- November 14, 2012 at 5:10 PM #204842pseudosafariMember
I liked the old forum. No complaints about it.
- November 15, 2012 at 5:02 AM #204844
- November 15, 2012 at 7:59 PM #204859Moab ManParticipant
I was patient knowing that change is always difficult to accept, but I'm really not even looking in on the forum anymore because its just not very well conceived.
- November 16, 2012 at 2:38 AM #204861WoodyParticipant
Some things I like about the new forum and some things that I'm sure will get worked out when time permits. It is different and in some ways I like that. I still find it easy to use and the spam seems to be getting less and less. So, I'm still one of the hopeful ones I guess.
- November 16, 2012 at 2:54 PM #204872LukeParticipant
I'm usually look on the positive side of things, but man this forum is a thumbs down.
Make sure you add the ablitiy to give someone a 'thanks'.
Can be able to find my old post.
- November 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM #204903CvilleParticipant
Things have gotten a lot better. Spam seems to be under control.
This forum has always been one of the best forums to be a part of. Always good advice. Even when we ask what appears to be a dumb question. 🙂
- November 19, 2012 at 8:48 AM #204909RobParticipant
What is the difference between the "Active Topics" and "Recent Topics" links at the top of the forum? I have noticed a couple changes over the weekend, but I don't understand why those two links remain. What purpose does one serve over the other??
- November 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM #204911AndyParticipant
Recent topics are sorted by the date the topic was started. Active topics are sorted by the date the last comment was made.
BTW, I'm fixing these two pages this morning. They don't appear to be sorting as expected.
- November 19, 2012 at 1:16 PM #204913RobParticipant
I see, I see. That explains my confusion. Neither of those two links appeared to sort properly or update in real time.
Perhaps a "Sort By:" drop-down menu would be a better way to present those options for viewing threads. Just my two cents…. Do what you like.
- November 20, 2012 at 12:50 AM #204919EarlCMember
I AM appreciating your efforts STAFF! SLAVES 😉
- November 21, 2012 at 12:41 PM #204947michael9Member
And I thought it was just me being change averse … who knew? Frankly I can't remember why I didn't like the change much except I do vaguely remember a bit of frustration about finding things. What do others think of the DV Info layout? There's no doubt a baby in the bathwater so my inclination is to let the newness percolate a bit.
- November 30, 2012 at 9:17 AM #205090
It appears that things are getting better – keep up the good work.
- December 14, 2012 at 11:58 AM #205259bethesourceMember
I appreciate the staff her for their commitment to making this place better.
- December 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM #205291altarvicMember
Is there a way to subscribe to new forum topics/posts?
I prefer RSS subscription, but subscription by email is also good!
- December 19, 2012 at 12:34 AM #205294AndyParticipant
Sorry, no RSS subscription yet. However, you can subscribe to email updates for a particular topic. When making a new comment, look for "Notify me when new comments are posted", immediately below the box where you type your comment.
- November 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM #204833dagunnerParticipant
The forum you linked is a proplerly constructed and working forum. that model is used at a lot of various places and the biggest ones are for games like EA Sports. This is the model you should use IMHO. The layout is what we need here. I hope you people get it rite next time.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.