New forum sucks!

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I dont know if any others are experiencing this but the new forum layout absolutely sucks.

Its very hard to navigate and unintuitive. Some may love it, I dont.

Thanks,Harry

Participant

This forum used to be #1 on my list, but now last, if visited at all – much more, easily scanned info elsewhere.

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

The forums are not where we want them to be. Currently our team is working on a re-designed forum interface that should be rolling out soon.

Out of curiosity, what are some of the other forums you look to as having good layouts?

Participant

Mike, I think the cleanest, most easily accessible and functional forum layouts are to be found in the Sony Vegas/Movie Studio forums. Forums such as those hosted by Creative Cow strike me as very cluttered and difficult to navigate.

Actually, I never found anything to gripe about with the former Videomaker forum structure. Worked for me for several years.

Participant

It was not broke and was not spammed. Fire those whom sold you all on this "new"  forum.

Wait! Was it a Democratic plot?!?!  

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

Jack- Are these the forums you're refering to?

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowTopics.asp?ForumID=4

Participant

Yes, keep it simple, like the forum linked above…quick scan for needed information. The software for this is a no-brainer which any web developer should be able to set up in a matter of minutes.

Participant

Extremely disappointed with the new layout, very uninutative, and just plain lame.  Bring back the old or get something else – this just doesn't cut it.

Participant

Also, I just noticed that my icon avatar I was using (our logo) is gone and now there is just an outline of a person.  And, you want me to pay again next time for this?   Hmmmmm….not sure that is going to happen – perception is everything.  What happen to the Spell checker?  Normally, what existed in a prior release becomes a baseline – what happen here?

I liked the old forum.  No complaints about it.

Participant

i liked the old version aswell…if you do have to change it the format that Ford Truck Enthusiats uses seems to be fairly standard with many other forums online…

http://www.ford-trucks.com/

Participant

I was patient knowing that change is always difficult to accept, but I'm really not even looking in on the forum anymore because its just not very well conceived.

Participant

Some things I like about the new forum and some things that I'm sure will get worked out when time permits. It is different and in some ways I like that. I still find it easy to use and the spam seems to be getting less and less. So, I'm still one of the hopeful ones I guess.

Participant

I'm usually look on the positive side of things, but man this forum is a thumbs down.

Make sure you add the ablitiy to give someone a 'thanks'.

Can be able to find my old post.

Participant

Things have gotten a lot better. Spam seems to be under control. 

This forum has always been one of the best forums to be a part of.  Always good advice. Even when we ask what appears to be a dumb question.  πŸ™‚

Participant

What is the difference between the "Active Topics" and "Recent Topics" links at the top of the forum? I have noticed a couple changes over the weekend, but I don't understand why those two links remain. What purpose does one serve over the other??

Participant

Recent topics are sorted by the date the topic was started. Active topics are sorted by the date the last comment was made.

BTW, I'm fixing these two pages this morning. They don't appear to be sorting as expected.

Participant

I see, I see. That explains my confusion. Neither of those two links appeared to sort properly or update in real time.

Perhaps a "Sort By:" drop-down menu would be a better way to present those options for viewing threads. Just my two cents…. Do what you like. 

I AM appreciating your efforts STAFF! SLAVES πŸ˜‰

And I thought it was just me being change averse … who knew? Frankly I can't remember why I didn't like the change much except I do vaguely remember a bit of frustration about finding things. What do others think of the DV Info layout? There's no doubt a baby in the bathwater so my inclination is to let the newness percolate a bit.

Participant

It appears that things are getting better – keep up the good work.

I appreciate the staff her for their commitment to making this place better.

Hi guys,

Is there a way to subscribe to new forum topics/posts? 

I prefer RSS subscription, but subscription by email is also good!

Participant

Sorry, no RSS subscription yet. However, you can subscribe to email updates for a particular topic. When making a new comment, look for "Notify me when new comments are posted", immediately below the box where you type your comment.

Participant

The forum you linked is a proplerly constructed and working forum. that model is used at a lot of various places and the biggest ones are for games like EA Sports. This is the model you should use IMHO. The layout is what we need here. I hope you people get it rite next time.

Thanks. 

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap