New Camera – Need Advice!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys,

So currently the main camera I use is the Sony HXR-NX5U. I do a lot of event videography (musicals, concerts, etc.) but I also make short films and things too. I am currently considering selling or trading in my NX5U and getting a video camera with interchangeable lenses (what I should’ve done in the first place). So I was considering getting rid of my NX5U and getting something like the Canon C100.

The issue is, since I do a lot of event videography where I am quite far away (back of an auditorium) there is no way within a reasonable price I could get a lens that would come close to matching the 20X zoom on the Sony. Of course I never fully use the 20X zoom, but it’s great for auditoriums. Any tips or advice or ANYTHING is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

-Andy

Participant

If the price of the Canon C100 is your budget, then you’re in a good neighborhood.

The C100 is a great cinema camera, but I would not consider a cinema camera a good option for event work. The depth-of-field is an asset for certain types of work, but is a detriment for event work. Look at the JVC GY-HM850C here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1042868-REG/jvc_gyhm850c14_1_3_prohd_shoulder.html. It uses a detachable ENG style lens and the 14X zoom is plenty for just about any event.

Participant

Andy: Will you please email me — address is on my website — so I can exchange ideas with you regarding the use of the NX5U in shooting theatre events.

Thanks.

If your looking for a cinematic/dslr quality video camera the Panasonic AG-DVX200 or the Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NEX-EA50, Sony FS5.

Hello,

I hope that I can get some advice from you on the camera equipment to invest in.

Some background… I have been filming video for some years on and off …weddings initially and then sporting and interviewing shoots recently.

I am now making the change to do it as a profession having retired from normal work and looking to start my own business in something that I like.

I currently have a contract with a regional television station to market their channel content globally but have been approached to also provide some exclusive content for them as well as another station.

So I need the get some good kit that will do commercials, interviews and sports coverage as well as some general work an a range of lighting conditions.

I have been reading several reviews, and looking at various specs, but could use some expert advice.

So far I have looks at:

The Blackmagic Design Production Camera 4K with EF Mount .
      The Lanparte BMCC-03 BlackMagic Cinema Camera Complete Kit (Black) ,
      Tilta by Ikan ES-T09 Red One (Mysterium-X) Camera Rig ,
      JVC GY-HM170U 4KCAM Compact Handheld Camcorder with Integrated 12X Lens ,
      Panasonic AG-AC90A AVCCAM CAMCORDER Video Camera, AGAC90APJ, With CS Interview/Documentary Kit: Includes Wireless ,
      and the Panasonic HC-X1000 4K-60p/50p Camcorder with High-Powered 20x Optical Zoom and Professional Functions (Black)
      with Transcend 128 GB U3 SDXC + Panasonic VW-VBD58 Battery + Polaroid Pro Video Microphone Set + PRO LED Light
      + Deluxe Padded Backpack + Deluxe Accessory Bundle

Based on the fact that I am starting from scratch as far as the camera equipment is concerned can you confirm that these are some of the best options considering what I wish to shoot. I have planned to spend $3,000.00 in
      the camera and they all fall within my budget, but as professionals in the field I would greatly value your advice.

Look forward to your comments.

Charles.
      Please email me from my website, would love to chat with persons one on one.
      http://www.pilecom.net

Hey Andy,

I love to buy latest cameras for that reason i keep on searching cameras on the web.
      Nowadays the camera that has fascinated me a lot is the Canon 5D MK11 DSLR camera. It has amazing picture quality with 21 megapixel CMOS sensor and sensor dust reduction by vibration of filter.
      Moreover it has 3.9 frames per second continuous shooting facility that make it very special and beneficial.
      You can also consider this for your shooting activities 🙂
      Cheers!!

While High Definition or HD capable camcorders are quickly flooding the market, such camcorders often have rather low-end performance when it comes to Full HD video. Even if the camcorder in question can go as high as Full HD 1080p the resulting video is often soft or filled with artifacts, something that can spoil a Full HD moment that you thought you’d captured perfectly. Thankfully, the Canon VIXIA HF M31 is not one of these camcorders as its performance for Full HD video is nearly on par with professional HD camcorders. This includes very solid auto focus and the ability to switch between manual and automatic modes on the fly. Video quality is very accurate with lush colors while the automatic functions react quickly enough for most consumers with image stabilization being very dependable.

Design-wise the Canon VIXIA HF M31 is glossy piano black with a nice grip for larger hands, something that should satisfy many such users. A 2.7-inch color touch-screen LCD flips open for access to more controls and the menu interface while simple recording, zoom and mode controls are within easy reach of your fingers. At 13.1 ounces the camcorder feels solid without being overly heavy and is comfortable to use.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Canon lenses — 2021

There are a number of Canon lenses on the market for both their DSLR and mirrorless cameras, these are our picks for EF, EF-S and RF mounts.
homicide-bootstrap