Need Video Editing Program Choice Help

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      KBIshopFit

I have to shoot about 500 short clips for one of my new companies, they are short exercise demonstration videos. I need to be able to add some boxes with text on them, with the name of the exercise and I would also like to add my logo somewhere on the video if possible so it cant be pirated as easy. I was thinking like a couple of skewed rectangles with the text in them that mimic some of the design features of the site so it flows well. I also need to be able to grab stills from each video to post for those that cannot view the videos or want to print, I would like them to have the same design with text as well.

I would’ve loved to hire someone but this project is going to take a long time to shoot and many different locations so it would’ve been too costly for what I need the final product to be,

I purchased a Sony a6000, it seems to be shooting video at a high quality, probably even higher than I needed, I just need to get pointed in the direction of an editing program that can easily do what I need. Thank you so much in advance for your help.

rs170a
      Participant

My recommendation is Sony Vegas Movie Studio. The cheapest version is only $50 and has 10 tracks of audio and 10 of video so it’ll definitely fit your needs.
      There’s a 30 day trial so check it out.
      http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudio

Mike

KBIshopFit

MIke,

Thank you so much for the help and advice, I will definitely check that out!

KBIshopFit

That sounds great. I played around with the demo last night for a couple minutes. Is there a way to easily add a custom color box that is an overlay with the text in it? I added some text but wasnt sure if there was an option to add a small rectangular box that would start near bottom left and maybe go about 3/4 across the screen. Ideally I was hoping to do it with a skewed edge on the right. I am very familiar with photoshop and illustrator, have been doing graphic design for many years and could easily create this effect in those programs, but not sure what the capabilities are in this arena. I was also wondering if there was a very easy way to take screen captures and have them save, I was going to use iMovie for this project until I started reading about how much of a pain it was to get screen captures.

Thank you again so much for your time!

JCBrown

I suggest that you try another of Magix’s programs, Movie Edit Pro Plus or Premium. I say another because Magix purchased Sony Creative Software, including Movie Studio and Vegas and is currently in a transition period. From what I have seen, Movie Studio is somewhat dated as Sony has not upgraded its programs for a couple of years, whereas Movie Edit Pro is up to date, easy to use (they all have a learning curve) and comes with many lower-third caption templates, which is probably what you are looking for. You can easily export a still image from the video to either jpeg or bmp. Adding a logo is easy, so long as your logo file is a transparent png file.
      I suggest getting the Plus or Premium versions as you will quickly run into limitations with the Basic version, which just happens to be on-sale. Don’t be taken in by this. You can download the program and try it out for 30 days, but the trial has some limitations, especially with the export and all of the goodies that come with a second download once you have purchased the program. Magix supplies support for 1 year and there is a wealth of information and help on the Magix.info community forum.
      http://www.magix.com/us/movie-edit-pro/

rs170a
      Participant

I use Vegas Pro but I’m pretty sure that you can add custom overlay boxes. Like you I prefer to create mine in Photoshop or After Effects (saving them as PNG or PSD images) and then adding them to my project.
      For screen captures, assuming Movie Studio has this feature which I think it does, there should be an icon above the top right preview window that looks like a floppy disc. Clicking this allow you to save an image as a jpeg or png image in the location of your choice.
      FYI, to further muddy the NLE waters (insert big grin here!) I just came across this link on a Sony Vegas forum. MAGIX is offering Movie Edit Pro 2016 for $60.00, regularly a $250.00 package. Looks to be a pretty good package too πŸ™‚
      edit: this must be the one that JCBrown referred to in his/her post.
      http://www.magix.com/?id=20028&L=52&phash=xwrrfN5mDLtYgHUy&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_content=vdlx2016&utm_campaign=US_22_all#c171053

Mike

rs170a
      Participant

John, thanks very much for your comments. The OP would really need Vegas Pro (a lot more $$) and a plugin or two to be able to effectively do what he wants to do so your solution sounds like a perfect fit.
      p.s. I’ve seen your name on the Vegas Pro MAGIX forum so nice to meet you πŸ™‚

Mike

JCBrown

@Mike,
      Nice to meet you too. You are right about Vegas Pro being more effective, especially since one can do scripting with it. The method sounds like it has a lot of repetitive actions. I don’t have any experience with scripting or macros but I am assuming that using scripting in Vegas Pro would streamline the process. Magix programs have the ability to save templates, effects, titles and transitions, but no scripting. I think that the OP should consider the program that will give the best overall value for money.

So, as for the price, consider 500 short clips, I’m assuming 500 videos, using a 500$ program like Vegas Pro. That works out to a dollar per. Add in the time to do all of this, planning, script preparation, equipment, travelling to different locations, acting, filming, editing, etc., and a dollar per video for a software program that could save time is now inexpensive, in my opinion.
      Whichever program the OP goes for, he will have a steep learning curve to get up to speed with what he wants to do.

John

rs170a
      Participant

John, I like the way you amortize things πŸ™‚
      Vegas Pro 13 Edit which is what is needed for the other software mentioned below (only the NLE, no extra software such as DVD Architect for DVD authoring & creation included) is $400 direct from Sony.
      http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegasproedit
      For the OP’s requirements I would highly recommend the purchase (an extra $170.00) of Vegas Pro Production Assistant as this would speed up the workflow a lot.
      Details on Production Assistant and a free trial are at
      http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegasproassist
      I know the developers and they’re great guys who are quick to respond to any questions.

Mike

rs170a
      Participant

joshua88, I use a 7″ Ikan field monitor (now discontinued) that has an HD-SDI input on it as well as component, composite and HDMI video jacks.
      I’ve never used a RED camera so I have no idea whether this would be a suitable monitor or not.

Mike

rs170a
      Participant

KBIshopFit, you’re very welcome. I work at a local community college where I use and teach with Sony Vegas Pro (big brother to Movie Studio) and I can get students with no editing experience doing basic work in less than an hour. The program is very intuitive.

Mike

JCBrown

@Mike,

That is the one that I don’t recommend due to certain editing limitations. For creating 500 videos, it would be best to have all of the features available. I have both Movie Edit Pro 2016 Premium and Magix Video Pro X(8) as well as Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 18.5.

@KBishopFit

For making 500 similar videos, I would set up the first one with everything, title, credits, captions, logo, colour correction, audio correction, etc., then create the second movie as another movie (MEP has multiple movie capability in one project as separate tabs), fix the movie name, copy everything from the base movie, paste it into the second movie, exchange the video and audio if there is a voiceover, change the titles, credits, captions, copy any effects from the base movie like colour correction, paste onto the second movie video, export as final and as a Magix movie file in case further editing is required, then on to the next movie. There are other quicker ways but they take a bit more knowledge about exporting templates and effects.

File management is going to be very important, so set up a good file structure and naming system at the beginning.
      John

joshua88

Hello Mike,
      Do you use on camera monitor to assit the video shooting? Which kind of monitor would you suggest to go with RED?

Cheers!
      Joshua.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Graphics and Visual Effects’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses β€” 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN