You're using a beta version of our new web site.

need to match impedance VidPro microphone through mixing board to Vixia HF R40

Home Forums Cameras and Camcorders Consumer Camcorders need to match impedance VidPro microphone through mixing board to Vixia HF R40

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  paulears 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

So I am having trouble getting optimal sound quality to the Vixia HF R40 camcorder using a VidPro MX-L lavalier condenser mic running through a Behringer Eurorack UB1202FX audio mixer.  I don’t have a mini to XLR adapter to be able to use the XLR input and the Invisible Mic Pre (maybe that’s my problem)  I have the mic plugged into the Line in and tried tweaking the Gain and Level controls, and the Main Mix control which also adjusts Level,  and managed to get a clean sounding signal but it appears to be weak.  The board also has a PHANTOM power supply.  The VidPro mic has a built in power supply capsule that is battery powered. The power supply can be switched off for use with a smartphone. 

if I get the mini to XLR adapter and run the mic into that input does that solve the problem?  Or is something else going on? What should I try?  Thanks!

Here are specs

Audio Mixer
    Microphone Input (IMP “Invisible Mic Preamp)
    Max. input level:  +12dBu @+10 dB gain
    Gain range:  +10 to +60dB

VidPro mic
    Sensitivity: -30dB +/-3dB

Vixia HF R40
    Microphone input
    Unknown (but probably the same as the VidPro as the mic is a perfect match for the HF R40)

paulears
    Participant

You are being silly! The mic inputs are for microphones, and the line inputs expect around 100 times the signal level – nearly a volt, but your mic provides microvolts. XLR inputs are designed for these low level signals. You MUST use them. You can buy adaptors, or solder on the proper connector – you cannot connect microphones to line inputs – it just won’t ever work!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.