need help with burning a disc

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I am new to the forum and found this place while searching the web for an answer to my question.  Any input or help would be greatly appreciated!  I filmed my son's holiday concert and it was about 34 minutes long.  I didn't stop and record throughout the program but simply recorded all the way through.  When I hooked my camcorder (canon HR50) to my computer, the video showed up as 2 separate MVI files (not 100% sure why).  I want to burn a DVD of my son's concert, but I want it to be one video, not two split videos.  Is it possible to burn the two separate files on one DVD without a break in between the two?  The split happens at a horrible point in the concert.  Thank you for any help you can give! 🙂

Hi vsommerville,

Most video recording devices have a limit on how big the file size can be.  Your video probably exceeded that limit, and so the camera stopped recording to the first file and started a new one.  If you are using a Windows computer, believe it or not, there is a Windows command that will stitch them together.  Put the files in the same folder on your drive.  Open a command prompt and navigate it to the folder where your files are.  If you're not familiar with DOS commands, let's say you have your videos in a folder on your C: drive called Videos (or in other words, the C:Videos folder).  When you open your command prompt, you will type the following command to navigate to that folder:

cdvideos

Be sure that you use a and not a /.  Now let's say your files are called video1.MVI and video2.MVI.  You will use the following command to stitch them together:

copy /b video1.MVI + video2.MVI videofull.MVI

On the flip side of what I told you earlier, be sure to use a / and not a in this command.  Instead of videofull.MVI, you can use any name for the new file that it will create.  This is just an example.

If you have a Mac, I heard from a Mac user friend of mine that there is a similar command on the Mac, but I don't know what that would be off the top of my head.  I believe it is a "cat" command.  You can probably Google it, though.

I hope this helps.

Participant

What software are you using to edit and/or burn to DVD? Many NLE software packages will handle the "spanned clips" just fine. Put them back to back in the timeline and export to DVD. No need for the complicated "joining" business usually.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap