Need help with a strong backlight on my video clip

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Need help with a strong backlight on my video clip

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Hi! Hope someone really can help me.

I have this clip that my brother filmed me on my bike doing this trick and unfortunately he filmed against the sun and you can barely see me.

So i have tried to fade the backlight and increase the focus on me but with my knowledge on editing the result werent so great…

So i thought maybe some of you guys can help me with this problem and i can send the clip to you?

Participant

Given the lighting situtation, you might be asking too much 🙁

What editing software are you using? Can you post a full res frame grab on a sharing site somewhere so that we can look at it and make recommendations?

Participant

Hi im using Sony Vegas Pro 12 but thats isnt ideal i think. Heres the link to the frame grab: http://postimg.org/image/g9m774z5l/

Participant

Tha's really bad backlighitng but here's a suggestion from a user on the Sony Vegas forum for dealing with situations such as this.

Put 3 filters on the event, "Invert" (at 100%), "Color Corrector", "Invert" (at 100%).
      Then lift up the gamma of the color corrector in the middle.
      This darkens highlights first, in the logarithmic fashion, more like a "iris closing" way.

Do this while looking at your waveform monitor so that your whites stay below 100.

Another good post on this issue is also on the Sony forum at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&MessageID=909778

Here's my attempt at using this series of FX to try and fix it. Good luck!!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/47vah6yu0aardpg/AAD-P-vmpojlTiWpkbm_nAVba?dl=0

Mike

Participant

Mike's comments are dead on; you should definitely read the discussions on the Sony editor's forum, too

The blown out portions of your video cannot be recovered — there's nothing there to recover!

The bike and rider, however, have some information there. I played with a still frame of that portion of your video in a graphics program and was able to get some decent definition to the bike and rider. It will be very tedious, but you might try creating a mask that blocks everything in the video except the bike, making corrections to enhance the bike and rider using Levels and Color Curves, then keyframing this over the bike in the original video.

Or, accept the fact that you're hosed (to use a highly technical term) and figure out how to complete your video without this sequence, or perhaps re-shoot if possible.

Good luck.

Participant

rs170a and Jack Wolcott thanks alot for the answers!! I maybe asking to much but you guys clearly knows much more than me in video editing programs so if you guys want or have time i can post the link to the video and you can download the video on the page. Anyways heres the link: https://vimeo.com/107378245

Participant

So maybe you guys can help me with this or i will of course take your advise and try it myself. Anyways thanks again!

Participant

Frankly, after watching it I wouldn't do anything to the clip at all beyond conforming it using Levels and Color Curves.  I realize that perhaps from a vanity point of view you'd like to be more sharply visible, but from a dynamic point of view the clip has a great feeling: you race down the approach, rise into the sun, make your flips, which are clearly seen even though backlit, then drop out of the sunlight to complete your return to earth.

Nice work.

Participant

I agree with Jack. After watching the entire clip, I see very little that I'd want to change. Good job on the shooting!!

Mike

Participant

Ok maybe im just too choosy about it haha but anyways thanks guys i will try to take all your advises and make it better next time! Thanks again!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap