Need Help – Video Format Transfer Perplexity

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

When transfering video filmed in 6:9 on a Sony DCR-HC62 (MiniDV) to DVD on a Sony Multi-Function DVD Recorder VRD-MC6 then transfering the video to my laptop it becomes distorted at 4:3. I tried opening the video with different software and got the same result.

This is driving me nuts, because, beyond the format change, I need to edit this footage with another video filmed with a Sony DCR-SR47 (Tapeless), which came out fine at 6:9. Can anyone offer a suggestion/solution? Thanks.

Participant

Since this camera shoots in both 16:9 and 4:3 modes, is it possible you shot your footage in 4:3?

Also, is it possible that the DVD recorder is set up to output in 4:3 mode?

Participant

Hi Jack,

Sorry I took so long to respond. I've been away for awhile.

Yes, both of your suggestions are possibilities, however the camera was set at 16:9. I know, because the video is actually distorted (squished) into the 4:3 format. I checked the DVD recorder for output, and everything seems to be set at 16:9. Not sure if this is an indicator, but as the video was being transferred it also appeared properly as 16:9 on the recorder's screen.

I guess the next question is can you recommend a method to convert from 4:3 to 16:9 without distortion? I've tried some freeware, but it resulted in centering the 4:3 while adding blacked out margins to fill the remaining 16:9 screen.

Darren

Participant

Why not transfer4 the videofiles direct from camera/camcorder to your laptop.

It is my impression that the multifunction dvd-recorder could be the problem..

Participant

Thanks, Leif. Unfortunately the equipment was borrowed, and the owner needed them back. The research to convert video format continues.

Participant

Have you tried importing it into an editing program and then converting the footage in there?

I use Premiere Pro 1.5 and a lot of times when I bring in 16:9 material from Mini-DV or DVCPRO25, my setup will only see it as 4:3, so I have to Interpret the Footage and tell the computer to see it in whatever aspect ratio I'm using for my project (whether that be NTSC Widescreen with a pixel ratio of 1.2, or 1.333 for HD Anamorphic; plus if you are using footage captured on a PAL camera, the widescreen footage will have a pixel aspect ratio of 1.422, while standard PAL footage will have a pixel aspect ratio of 1.067—very different from NTSC Standard and Widescreen, are you sure that you didn't use a PAL camera?)

[quote=dasarius]

Thanks, Leif. Unfortunately the equipment was borrowed, and the owner needed them back. The research to convert video format continues.

[/quote]

I use Imgburn though its interface can be a bit daunting maybe. but I'm sure there's other stuff out there can do this job. you can setting 16:9 or 4:3 before dvd burning.
      I assume videos in your camera are mts file extension, burn mts to dvd, see: 

Tell me how it goes.

– John
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap