need help for a whale hunting documentary shooting.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      remi_x
      Participant

Hi, 

I'm Remi, unf I'm absolutely new to film making and I have no experience with cameras before. I just own a DSLR (nikon d5000) and love shooting photos. But, I have never tried to shoot any serious movie with it. 
      I just have an idea to make a documentary film about a small village in Indonesia where people still hunt whales with traditional boats and equipment.
      I'm a bit confused with all the cams on the market, then I decided to shoot with a GoPro hero 3 Black Edition and with another camera for which I need help to chose.
      Mostly I will use the other camera for interviews, and if I can find a way to secure (to be waterproof) it for the real action on a small boat, I will need to capture some fast movements too,like when the whale hunter is jumping from the boat to catch the whale. 
      Of course I have a small budget πŸ™ what would be around 600-800$ without the GoPro but with other necesarry equipments like mic, and idk what else will I still need for this.
      I would ask for sugestions for cameras or, if it fits this task DSLR's which I could use also on my further documentary shootings.

Oh, and cams or dslrs with slow motion and with ability to shoot in low lights would have a priority,but if it's not fitting the budget then anyway the GoPro has slow mo.

thanks
      Woody
      Participant

Hi Remi,

I haven't used the GoPro 3 but I have a 2. I've also gotten a Sony HDR-AS15 last fall, its Sony's Action Cam. I can tell you one major difference that I like about the Sony is the audio if you need it in a pinch. It has surprising audio for the camera cost and size. Also it is very reliable using a smart phone with it for framing. The picture is good, just needs a little de-noising and color adjustment in post since it is a little blueish but other than that it would fit your budget well.

As small as your budget and going water proof I would recommend it as you could get two of them and cover the action on the water better. Personally I believe the Sony does a bit better in low light as well. 

brunerww

Hi Remi – with your budget, I would get the $549 Sony GW77 waterproof camera with 10:1 zoom, an LCD, and 1080/60p slow motion. It doesn't have an external mic input, so you would have to record dual system sound with something like a $138 Tascam 4 channel recorder with XLR mic inputs for a professional lavalier mic like the $199 Audio Technica AT899.

The GW77 can produce results like this in the maritime environment:

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

remi_x
      Participant

Hi, Woody,Bill. Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Bill, for the underwater I plan to use the GoPro, I won't need sound for that. The other cam I'll need for interviews so I will need the mic input. Anyway thx for the suggestion, nice vid!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Consumer Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment β€” 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.