Need help

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Me and my friend are starting up a youtube channel for pranks. We have asked on here before about camcorders and thanks to the forums help, found a great camcorder. We have some more money and want a dslr. Were looking in the 500 dollar range and i would like something really good for videos. We will be shooting at night and daytime and already have a sound system. Just looking for the best one possible technology wise!

You might not be able to find anything new at that price point. However, you can probably get a used Panasonic GH2 for around that. It’s mirrorless, which means that it functions like a DSLR, but without the mirror. Look on eBay.

Hi Shawn_morgan32 – I would avoid DSLRs (especially Canon DSLRs) for video.

In your price range, they lack:

– 1080/60fps for smooth HD slow motion (they are limited to 30 frames per second)

– a usable viewfinder when you switch to “Live View” (video) mode

– compatibility with affordable power zoom lenses

– the ability to record for more than 30 minutes continuously

– a built-in intervalometer

Plus, Canon DSLRs in this price range suffer from a phenomenon known as “moire” as the result of poor downscaling.

Panasonic G and GH cameras, for example, have a better downscaling algorithm. Here are a couple of side-by-sides between the Canon 60D and a moire-resistant Panasonic GH camera:

Newer Canon cameras are not much better. Here is a side-by-side between the Canon 60D and 70D:

Instead of a DSLR, you might want to consider a moire-resistant mirrorless camera such as the $515 Panasonic G6 (brand new with a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty): http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575034783&toolid=10001&campid=5337235943&customid=&icep_item=321613840675&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

This camera has a viewfinder that actually works while you’re recording video, has a built-in intervalometer for time lapse, records at up to 1080/60p for smooth slow motion, records for hours continuously (instead of minutes), has a lens with a silent autofocus motor and is compatible with affordable power zoom lenses.

Here is what this camera can do:

Narrative

Music Video

Documentary

Slow Motion/Sport

Wedding

Travel Video

Timelapse

It is a capable still camera too: https://www.flickr.com/groups/lumix-g6/pool/

In my view, this is the best large sensor, interchangeable lens still/video camera you can buy for around $500.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with whatever camera you decide to buy!

Bill
      Hybrid Camera Revolution
      http://www.hybridcamerarevolution.com

I agree with Bill. The G6 is probably your best bet in this price range.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The Best Video Editing Software

The best video editing software — 2020

In this article, we’ll go over the criteria you’ll need to consider when choosing the best video editing software for your needs.
homicide-bootstrap