Need help

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Me and my friend are starting up a youtube channel for pranks. We have asked on here before about camcorders and thanks to the forums help, found a great camcorder. We have some more money and want a dslr. Were looking in the 500 dollar range and i would like something really good for videos. We will be shooting at night and daytime and already have a sound system. Just looking for the best one possible technology wise!

You might not be able to find anything new at that price point. However, you can probably get a used Panasonic GH2 for around that. It’s mirrorless, which means that it functions like a DSLR, but without the mirror. Look on eBay.

Hi Shawn_morgan32 – I would avoid DSLRs (especially Canon DSLRs) for video.

In your price range, they lack:

– 1080/60fps for smooth HD slow motion (they are limited to 30 frames per second)

– a usable viewfinder when you switch to “Live View” (video) mode

– compatibility with affordable power zoom lenses

– the ability to record for more than 30 minutes continuously

– a built-in intervalometer

Plus, Canon DSLRs in this price range suffer from a phenomenon known as “moire” as the result of poor downscaling.

Panasonic G and GH cameras, for example, have a better downscaling algorithm. Here are a couple of side-by-sides between the Canon 60D and a moire-resistant Panasonic GH camera:

Newer Canon cameras are not much better. Here is a side-by-side between the Canon 60D and 70D:

Instead of a DSLR, you might want to consider a moire-resistant mirrorless camera such as the $515 Panasonic G6 (brand new with a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty): http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575034783&toolid=10001&campid=5337235943&customid=&icep_item=321613840675&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

This camera has a viewfinder that actually works while you’re recording video, has a built-in intervalometer for time lapse, records at up to 1080/60p for smooth slow motion, records for hours continuously (instead of minutes), has a lens with a silent autofocus motor and is compatible with affordable power zoom lenses.

Here is what this camera can do:

Narrative

Music Video

Documentary

Slow Motion/Sport

Wedding

Travel Video

Timelapse

It is a capable still camera too: https://www.flickr.com/groups/lumix-g6/pool/

In my view, this is the best large sensor, interchangeable lens still/video camera you can buy for around $500.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with whatever camera you decide to buy!

Bill
      Hybrid Camera Revolution
      http://www.hybridcamerarevolution.com

I agree with Bill. The G6 is probably your best bet in this price range.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap