Need Help!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Here is a very broad question that I hope to get my point across.

I am shooting with a XLH1 and am doing waterfowl hunts in which the light varies greatly.

Can someone give me general sitting to keep the birds in correct light from above tree tops where the sun is bright to down below the tree line where the light fades.

I understand this could vary greatly but any tips/ links to other sources would be wonderful.

Participant

Hi Chappydog,

Theres a couple things. One, a graduated nd filter will help cut down on the brightness of the sky in situations where treelines are low and you will always have both in the shot. When you are in situations where you will moving the camera from sky to total woods following a bird in, like while hunting timber you will have to adjust exposure in post. I would rather expose for the woods where all the detail is and just let it be over exposed for the sky. Sometimes you can expose for the middle ground and again work with it in post. I film in the woods a lot and deal with the same thing but a great deal of the way I handle it is by planning on fixing it in post much of the time.

If I was filming just for flying birds I would of course expose for the sky and keep some detail in it but if I have to follow from one to the other and don't have time for adjusting exposure then I would rather loose detail in the sky as the edit will only show 1-2 seconds of that and the audience would be focused on the duck.

I wish there was a do it all setting but if there is I haven't found it yet. On the other hand, learning about color grading and dealing with these issues in post can really save the day. Da Vinci Resolve lite is free and very powerful at handling such things. Then knowing what you can do in post will give you an idea of what you can get away with in the field. Every situation will require different tactics.

Woody 

Participant

Woody thanks alot. That was helpful. 

I will be asking more as time goes on. 

Our first hunt will be the week of thanksgiving so I have some time to get this down. 

We will be in the woods mostly but hunt some fields in the afternoon. The fields seem easier to deal with because of the constant light. 

Thanks 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best camera bags and cases — 2021

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap