need advice on high tripod camcorder

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and would like some advice. After putting some time into building this monster tripod for myself it's time to upgrade the camera.

The tripod is used for filming Soccer Games (see images). The tripod elevates another 8 feet past what is shown in the pics. It is extremely stable but can have minor sway in sustained winds at full elevation.

I am currently using a old Sony Mini Dv camera .

I would like to upgrade to a new HD camera  and I'm torn on what to buy.

My questions:

1. I have been looking at the Canon Vixia G20 & G30. Will I see any noticeable difference in quality between the two?

is it really worth the jump in price for what I'm going to be using the camera for??

2. What would be the Sony equivalent to the Canon's ???

3. My plan is to be able to upload the videos to the net for the parents to stream or download and burn themselves. Is there a camera or format best suited for this?

Any pros and cons would be appreciated.

Requirements:
      The camera has to have "Lanc" or equivalent Controller port compatible with my Varizoom Stealth controller.
      Field monitor below has HDMI as well as component and Standard RCA connections. I would prefer using Hdmi.
      Good optical zoom would be helpful on the larger soccer fields.
      I will be doing editing on a MAC.

Thanks for all your Help !

Jdegid

Participant

This rig looks like a light stand, not a tripod. There are much heavier, sky high light stands available which will put the camera up on high with greater stability.

That said, as to TRIPODS which go stratospheric, the closest thing would likely be the (find a used one on Ebay) Gitzo Tele Studex Giant, of which there were models which soared past 10 feet, and would be a stable platform to build something which went higher. The problem with all current tripods is they have long forgotten how to go high combined with forgetting how to be truly stable. There are some short by comparison professional tripods which are stable and cost several thousands of dollars, but that does not seem to be your goal.

Participant

I rather like it! Quite a neat solution to the need to get the camera up. The two canon cameras are pleasant enough – most people would be quite happy. I have a number of very expensive, pro cameras but still use a small handicam size camera for all sorts of things. A couple of things come to mind, but the main thing is the headload. As the weight of the camera goes up, the wobble you experience will get much worse. In still conditions, I'd guess it will be fine. How does your existing setup cope with being zoomed in. Looking at the linkage, does it not suffer from wind up? So you put pressure on the pan, and nothing happens, but suddenly the friction is overcome and it suddenly moves? You might find one of the cheap post heads that let the camera rotate about it's CoG could be better?

The actual format that you upload is the subject of much agreement (and disagreement) Youtube and Vimeo both treat whatever you upload to make it more friendly for them to stream, and in general it means some degredation, although you need to try and experiment. Much depends on your editing software. Some can render out your video in a number of formats, but some are more limited. You find plenty will produce videos with .mov, .wmv .mpg or .mp4 – this doesn't actually mean much because these are standardised 'wrappers' and the format of the content can be good or bad.

For vimeo and youtube, I'm currently using an H.264 preset that Adobe Premiere has plenty of. It works for me.In general, the quality on your Mac won't be what people see – they see the end product after uploading. In general, the bigger the file size, the more Youtube/Vimeo have to play with getting it ready to stream. If you have fibre internet, then I don't worry too much now about file size. With slow internet, it could be different. 

Can we see the kinds of shots your gizmo can produce, we'd be very interested. I actually have a couple of Manffotto metal sturdy stands for big lights. I'm thinking I might try something similar?

Please tell us how you made this great contraption or where you purchased it.

THANK YOU!

~Joe

Participant

I doubt John will read it – he’s not been back for over two years!

The information on your camera is quite good. I will rely on it to choose for yourself the best product.
      http://flipdiving.online

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap