Need advice for filming band in warehouse

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hello to all forum members!

I’m new to video creation and need help in getting the right equipment to record quality footage of 2 to 4 band members playing live in our warehouse studio.

Here is a video clip of the space with the ugly overhead lights on.

What we are trying to achieve is an intimate live setting with close friends and family watching from living room style furniture, think “MTV unplugged from a big living room” and you’ll have the basic idea. Here are the two videos that inspired us to try this.

We have all the audio equipment we will ever need so no problems there.
      I have no idea how to setup the lighting for such an event or what is the best low light cameras to use.

Here is some cameras I thought might work but I’m open to suggestions
      Canon XA30
      Canon XC10
      Sony PXW X70
      Panasonic DMC-GH4

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Don’t even think of shooting in low light. Light it properly and shut down the exposure to achieve the dimly lit “look”. Use the barn doors to keep the light off the walls. This will be tricky as you have a small space compared to the sample videos. You’ll need at least 4 matching cameras, 6 will be better. Consider shooting the band without an audience first – so you can get the angles etc, then shoot the audience from behind the band. It will make the space look bigger.

Participant

I guess the question has to be how much budget you have for kit? Not just lighting kit, but the support and rigging systems. You showed two examples – the top one (epic) has generally good lighting – most faces lit properly, has depth and shadows. The second one, stream of passion – looks like no thought went into the lighting at all – lacking detail, contrast, mood and lots of people are in the murk. blasting the area with wide horrible light looks really flat. The girl in the top clip looks much nicer. You need to also consider what you light. Faces are in my book critical, followed by lighting the space, and in your project, lighting the audience too – perhaps in deeper colours – reds work well. You could even use your white walls by throwing some patterns or colours on those too. It might not be a usual concert rig, but contrast works well. Light the bits you want us to see and leave the rest in shadows – much more intimate. You can mix cameras as long as they look similar on face tones – if the angles are different it matters little if the walls behind are a bit different. As long as they can all be set to a common colour temp – 3200, 3000? all will be matchable. Let’s say you are a four piece band, then that’s 4 key lights for the people. Sharing keys is more of a wash – looks less good. Each one needs to be dimmable so they can be matched. Two or three Fresnels maybe for the audience light – or nowadays probably LED wash lights so you can experiment with colour. A few others to light the playing area with maybe a colour, and some for the walls? One thing to watch if you hire this kit is that some are damn noisy. The fans get in the way of the audio. If there’s a PA, then levels will be up so won’t matter.

This means at the least you’re into windup stands, a bit of truss maybe, or worst case T bars, but they really limit positions. My usual trick is start with the colours and patterns, make the space look good to them camera then creep in the key lights. If you can’t do this then your end result will be more industrial and bland like clip two, instead of intimate like clip one.

• Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap