NEED A LOW BUDGET PRO HD CAM

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am a beginner in the world of videographers, although I have been an enthusiast long ago. I recently bought Nikon D5200 (with 18mm- 55mm[1:3.5-5.6]) and (55mm-300mm[1:4.5-5.6]) both AF-S Nikkor lens. My intension then was to do my photography basically and good HD video for my clients and kick start my passion for home video. At the moment, I am considering adding Panasonic HC – MDH2 to my gears. My budget limit is $1,500. With this new camera, I intend to focus on video. I need some guideline and advice please.

From what I have seen on B&H, this camera is PAL only.  Are you outside the US?

Participant

Thanks for your response. Yes I reside in Nigeria.

Oh, OK.  I've never used that particular camera.  Based on the specifications, it looks like it will do well.  My concern would be audio inputs.  The pictures that I have seen on B&H show the possibility of mounting an external microphone, yet it doesn't have XLR inputs listed in the specifications; only stereo mini in for a microphone.  But if you are only planning on using it for home movies, maybe you aren't necessarily looking to be able to connect an external microphone.

Participant

Thank you once again for your response. I actually noticed the audio issue but thought I could resolve that using a male xlr to jack with a jack to stereo adapter. Also, what makes me consider it is due to the fact that it was recently launched, its better than many others in its category.

Participant

Sometimes a simple cord adapter doesn’t cut it in the quality department. (Tried one and it failed miserably.)

I use a BeachTek DXA-2T and get good quality audio from my xlr microphones into the 1/8″ stereo mic input.

Participant

The Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera is on sale for U.S. $495 through August. Combine that with a Metabones Nikon G to M43 Speedbooster, a few Sandisk 95MB/sec cards, some extra batteries, and a dual charger, a variable ND filter for your lenses, and maybe a mic, and you will be under $1,500 and far beyond DSLR video capability with serious and expandable pro level video, er… digital film capability.

Participant

Thank you for this information. I have checked the Nikon G to M43 Speedbooster. But I am also considering sony's newest 4k (sony handycam 4k fdr-ax100) @ about $2000. Please what's your opinion? Thank you once again.

Inactive

It depends on what you are shooting. If you basically shoot events then the sony ax100 would be a better option over the blackmagic pocket because of its 1″ sensor which means everything will virtually be in focus. But if what you do is shoot movies/short films and want to pull off some cinematic effects, you’d want to get the bm pocket. Pair that with a speedbooster specifically designed for the bm pocket(not the universal mft speedbooster) and you’ll get a super 35 sensor for that nice shallow DOF effect. And if you want to have more control of what your final image would look like, you’ll need to shoot raw or prores or any other gradable codec. And finally, here in nigeria, 4k delivery isn’t common place. In fact, HD is still trying to get a foot hold. Some might bring in the “4k downsampled to HD” argument. Whatever floats your boat. If you have the budget to shoot 4k raw then by all means, DO IT.

Participant

With 1/4 and 1/3 inch sensors, universal focus tends to be an issue. The Super 16mm sensor of the Pocket Cinema Camera is just shy of 1" in its image circle. This means that there are a boatload of 1" sensor machine vision lenses that will work on the Pocket Cinema Camera. Kowa has even refitted three of its lenses into M43 mounts. Having a Kowa 6mm f/1.8 for my Pocket Cinema Camera means I have extremely wide angle capability, the kind nearly impossible to emulate on a DSLR. Kowa's 8mm lens is even a little sharper, which means, sharper than the sensor itself. The 6mm is much sharper than a $2,000+ pro zoom I use. The zoom is excellent, but you do see a marked shift in the image quality once you mount this C-Mount lens. Easy to match in post.

I find that with a SpeedBooster and good glass, "universal focus" is not prevalent on the Pocket Cinema Camera. A follow focus system is a definite must. Just like a film movie camera.

I have the 2.5K Cinema Camera as well, and its bigger sensor affords slightly more "out of focus" effect. As an owner of several 16mm film cameras, although they are relics in the digital age, I shot movies on16mm film that were later transferred to 35mm film. Super 16 is a respected format for serious production. Given that the Pocket Cinema Camera in some areas has a better spec than the original, million dollar digital Panaflex, well…

Mr Akindamola
      I am a newbie, would love to contact you.
      I need a camera for my church, was advised to go for the Panasonic HC – MDH2. Wanted to find out, if it’s a good one.
      I want to use it for recording, shoot drama and if possible live streaming.
      Or what type of Camera would you advice I get. (considering the same budget for Panasonic HC – MDH2 as of now)

Participant

Dear Samson Olaoye. Thanks for asking for my opinion. You will need to provide further specific information mainly on your budget, as selling price differs with camera shops. You may also need to consider your main location (church) where you intend to shoot primarily and constantly in terms of natural lighting. I eventually did not go for Panasonic HC-MDH2. I opted for another camera that served more purposes.

Thanks Mr Akindamola for your response…..
      As for my budget (#400,000naira there about)
      I also intend to shoot mostly in my church.

Sir, I would have appreciate if you also overlook the budget, cause I want a good camera not to expensive, most of the Drama’s or Interviews will be within the church… so in terms of lighting I will have to inquire on the type of light to get too. And I may not need one. I would also want the camera to have AV and HDMI port or more.
      I am really new into cameras….
      So would appreciate your advice.
      Thanks

Camera are many, but best flash camera are less one, so i would suggest to go with canon Flash as per my experiences and friend views regarding the same. My friend is a professional photographer and he told us about the Best Canon Flash camera for video shooting or taking professional or personal pics. https://www.bestcanonflash.com/

sheryl_gaskinsheryl_gaskin
      Participant

U can try Sony HXR-MC2500 Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder. The HXR-MC2500 Shoulder Mount AVCHD Camcorder from Sony is designed for shooters looking for the inherent stability and professional feel a shoulder-mount form factor provides. It features a 1/4″ Exmor R CMOS chip that can work with as little as 0.8 lux illumination when in SD mode, and low-light performance is further augmented by a built-in LED light shining 800 lumens at 1.6; distance. The camera records Full HD in the widely supported AVCHD format and can record SD in the DV codec with an AVI wrapper. Using DV rather than DVD-style MPEG-2 compression for SD means a higher quality thanks to lower compression and compatibility with more editing software. The camera is Wi-Fi enabled, allowing you to control it from an app as well as monitor a low-latency live feed on a smartphone or tablet.
      Other features :
      Wide 26.8mm Angle Lens
      Exmor R CMOS Sensor
      OLED Tru-Finder and 3″ LCD Panel
      Low-Light Shooting
      Hybrid Recording
      Multi Interface (MI) Shoe
      DV Recording
      Assignable Lens Ring
      Timecode
      BNC Composite Output
      Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization with Active Mode
      Quick AF System
      L-Series Battery

You could get this Camcorder around $1,200 from S World Electronics Inc

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap