Need a good setup for shooting 3D under $1000

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have been trying to get into 3D shooting for a while now but I cant find any cameras with genlock for under $500. If i could get a list of cameras with genlock I would appreciate it. Or if you know of a cheaper way of going about it If I would love to hear about it.

Hi Cobra – your least expensive option is probably a $499 JVC GS-TD1 (shipped from Japan via Amazon).  You can download the English manual here.  This is a fully integrated 3D camcorder that also shoots 2D. This camera was released a couple of years ago, at the height of 3D's popularity, and there are still a few available. Its advantage is that the 3D lens is built-in and requires no calibration or adjustment.

This camera got 9 out of 10 stars at Trusted Reviews in the UK, and it was a "Recommended Product" at digitaltrends.com: http://www.digitaltrends.com/camcorder-reviews/jvc-everio-gs-td1-review/

The next step up is the $475 Panasonic HC-V720 3D-ready camcorder plus the separate $270 Panasonic VW-CLT2 3D adapter.  With the Panasonics, 3D is an optional accessory.  Yes, the adapters require some calibration, but you can take them off and use the the V720 as a standard 2D camcorder when 3D isn't needed.

The "entry level" professional 3D solution is the $2120 Panasonic HDC-Z10000 – which is essentially Panasonic's pro AG-AC90 with a permanently attached 3D lens.  This one is pretty far above your $1000 price point, though.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

I guese My price range is about $1000 My problem is that I have to buy two cameras for filming Golf swings, so I was hoping to find 2 cameras that are somehow capable of shooting 3D together weither it by useing Genlock or whatever other method possible for a total of $1000. shooting video is just a hobby for me so all I really want is the ability to do all of it manually.

Participant

cheapest off the shelf solution will be go-pro's 3d rig….

but..
      here's what I use for 3d shooting…
      2 flip cams (you could use any of these types of cameras)
      2 sony sr-12's
      and Go-pro's 3d software.

Participant

i don't use anything fancy… just a clacker or clap at the beginning and end points and use the audio spikes to sync inpost.

Participant

What would I need in order to use the Sony cameras for 3D as far as cables to sync them and software
      I have access to Adobe premier pro CS6 if that would work.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best cameras for YouTube — 2021

So you’re all set to start your new YouTube channel where you’ll show how you create wigs for dogs with bald spots. Great! But before you get started, you’ll need a camera. We’re here to help you wade through the...
homicide-bootstrap