My video project is making my head explode, please help

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion My video project is making my head explode, please help

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am new to video production and I am wanting to create an online information product to be sold on my companies website.I have done alot of video editing using Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum and have experience with shooting Youtube type video but nothing of any real quality though I am a fast learner. We are a small company so our budget won't allow us to use professional videographers so it looks like I will be doing this in house. My question is since the video will be viewed online AND offered seperatly on dvd what kind of video camera would be best?

I don't mind spending more on the camera to get better quality but my budget tops out at around 2500 for a used camera.

I hope you can help get me on track, thanks

P.S. I almost forgot. I will also be using the same camera to film events as well as seminars

Participant

Check out the Sony NEX-VG20. You can pick them up for around 2K. 

Participant

Thanks for the replys. Chuck, I am the web guy, superviser and all around grand poobah in my company (there are only 6 of us) so I will be doing most of the heavy lifting. I do have an older camera but it's not HD so I may look at upgrading that as well to use for a second camera. My company trains dogs for the disabled so some of what we will be filming will be indoors and some will be outdoors. I have been looking into some higher end microphones as well.

I have also looked at the Panasonic hvx-200 as a camera, I have seen them for sale for $1250 to $1500 with extra P2 cards. I am mostly concerned that I get quality video for a DVD product since the online version will look pretty good by default.

Keep the suggestions comming, I am an eager noob.

bigv – you've gotten some good advice from David on the VG20 and from Chuck on planning and the importance of audio.

I've shot with the VG20, and it's a great camera – but the lack of a power zoom is a problem.  And you really don't need the VG20's "cinematic style" large sensor, shallow depth of field images for online information videos.

I suggest you get a solid entry-level professional camcorder like the new $1956 Panasonic AG-AC90.  Unlike the VG20 or HF G10, this camera has professional mic inputs with 48V phantom power.  And, with $500 left over in your camera budget, you'll have enough left for a decent mic (e,g, the Sennheiser ME66 with the K6 powering module).

Here is an example of what the AC90 can do:

Hope this is helpful – good luck with your project – and Happy New Year!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Thanks for suggesting the Panasonic AG-AC90, I really like the quality of the video output of this camera. I have noticed that most of the test footage I have seen from digital camcorders that show the camera panning seem kind of jerky. Is that normal for that type of camera? If it is, can it be fixed?

Participant

Most important, talk to the managers in your company about what goals they want the video to achieve. If there is a person in the company who handels the companys website, ask what people request most on the webpage. Then get a piece of paper or your writing software  and make a list ot the goals the company sets. Once you have that information you can start putting together  plan

for the video. Once you have developed the plan, take it to the manager who is supervising you on the video, and discuss the plan with that person. Listen to the supervisor and make changes to your plan that they requested, and re-submit the plan. Once the plan is approved, including a shot list or a story board you can start to work. Regarding a camera, Davids suggestion is fine but don't rule out Canon, or Panasonic who all make excellent  camcorders.. I use Vegas pro and know that your software support multi camera editing. you might consider getting two less expensive cameras like the Canon HF G10, which is in terms of ability virtually the same as the XA10, the pro version of the camera. Don't forget, the microphones on most cameras thing you should look into getting and additional microphone to record sound. Bad sound will ruin good shooting.

Hi bigv – I'd really have to see the 'jerkiness' you're talking about.  Many of the issues with pans and camera movement seen online is due to bandwidth or compression.  That said, modern digital video cameras use CMOS image sensors, which are susceptible to a a phenomeneon called "skew" or "rolling shutter" when panned too quickly.  Older model cameras with CCD sensors did not have this problem.

For 99%+ of your shots, this will not be a problem.  I personally have never seen it in my videos. If this is a concern for you, however, there is one modern camera in your price range with 3 CCDs – the terrific $1995 JVC GY-HM15U.

Here is what this camera can do:

(please watch in 1080p): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKaG9WSrsvw

Again, hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

I would look on E-Bay for a used Panasonic HMC-AG150, I love this camera and it does well in low light, it also has 3 CCD sensors. If you will be shooting event videos that will more than likely have people taking pictures with a flash you really want to stay away from any camera with a CMOS sensor. You will only see part of the screen with the flash and and the rest will be normal, really looks bad.

Participant

Just a note about CMos/Rolling-shutter effects. These seem to take the form of ripples which pass in 'waves' through the images. Camcorders using this technology are highly conservative in what they will 'allow/not allow' in the way of panning. Even on our TV News in New Zealand, these days, evidence of the use of Rolling-shutter/Cmos is common. These effects are not a form of instability which stabilising software is able to cope with, normally, because the 'shake' not being 'overall' does not respond to the usual remedies for camcorder movement which, usually, act only full-frame. Frankly it is a pain-in-the-ass, but I suppose, that must be offset, in my case, by the wonderful definition nof my camcorder's optics. Just got to learn to live with it.

And, it might just be my imagination, but my shooting seems to suffer more from 'heat-haze' ripple effects since I adopted this technology too.

Ian Smith

Dunedin, New Zealand.

Participant

You guys are AWESOME! I really appreciate all your help. I was wondering if any of you has had experience with the Panasonic hvx-200? Would that also be good pick?

Thanks again

Participant

I agree with most of the replies posted but will add a few observations.  Your concern about the quality of the DVD output is misplaced.  DVD output is Standard definition or standard def wide screen so anything shot on a HiDef capable camera will look fine on a DVD.  It actually will look good on a BluRay disk as well. 

Your idea of using the standard def camera with the new one may not be very practical.  The frame standards (size and aspect ratio) are so different that mixing them in an edit is very difficult.  I have tried and given up.

There is a simple but somewhat time consuming solution for the flash frame poblem.  Go to the bad frame, step back one frame, create an image of that frame and then copy that frame over the bad one.  This will eliminate the flash with a likely impreceptible stutter.

I shoot with a Canon t2i DSLR and a VIXIA camcorder.  My next camera will likely be a Canon G10. 

I always use two cameras and separate system sound so the lack of an XLR input on any of the cameras is moot.

Participant

I personally would stay so far from a HD Camcorder, unless it is recording to a MiniDV HDV tape.  The reason being, HD video, take one frame, gets the next 6 or 7 frames from the inner Camcorder circuitry.  This translates into for every 20 video frames, you may have only 4 or 5 frames that came from the lens assembly, the rest were all made with in the Camcorder using a an algorithm based on the frame either side of it.  That is part of the reason a quick pan looks so bad with a HD camcorder.  And a total nightmare to edit, no matter the Video Editing Program you are using.  

There is no HD camcorder made that come close to Quality Video produced by a $400 MiniDV tape camcorder, unless that camcorder costs in excess of $3400.

I also use 3 Camcorders and a separate Audio capture system, when shooting most Videos.

Participant

I would also recommend the Panasonic AC90 or a used HMC150 camera. Both are excellent cameras and can produce great results in the right hands.

– The AC90 has better image stabilization which will make for smoother shots when handholding the camera. It also records a sharper image when compared to the HMC-150.

– The HMC150 camera uses CCD sensors, so it can be used to film high-speed events without camera skew or flash-banding from still camera flashes.

The main issue with the HVX-200 camera is that the P2 recording media is still quite expensive compared the to the SDHC / SDXC memory cards that the AC90 and HMC150 use. Yes you can use MiniDV tapes, but then you won't record the same quality high-definition images compared to recording to memory cards. ( also transferring 8 hours of footage from MiniDV tapes to your computer will take 8 hours, where you can do this in 15 minutes using high speed memory cards )

I have owned the HMC150 camera for the past 4 years, and would still recommend it as good general purpose production camera, especially when buying used.

Good-luck.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap