My first shot at a corporate video – pricing, etc.

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Specialty Topics Commercial Video My first shot at a corporate video – pricing, etc.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi everyone!

I'm I guess what you'd call an "intermediate" videographer.. I'm pretty capable with most production duties (including the "pre" and the "post") and have made a good amount of videos, some of which I'm pretty proud of. Still, I've yet to feel comfortable with the "pro" handle as it seems like there's always something more I have yet to learn! Anyway, I am actually just finishing up my first wedding video (shooting and editing) and have just been approached for a new project.

The company where I work full-time (not video related) has requested that I give them a quote on making a video about "Safe Lifting".. Basically something that employees can watch which is tailored specifically to the types of lifting they will do on the job. It will be up to me to figure out the structure of the video and to write a script, and I will most likely use employees for the talent. The goal is to make the video (or possibly videos if the topic warrants it) fairly short – 5 minutes or less. My question to you fine folks is this – How do you think I should price for a project of this nature?

Whenever I've done videos for pay in the past, I've either done an hourly rate or just threw out a price off the top of my head – Usually in the latter case I'd end up feeling like I didn't charge enough. This time I want to do myself right, but of course I don't want to ask for too much and scare away my boss!

What do you think?

Nick

Do hourly rate and tell boss what level of production he can expect for certain number of hours (and thus, the overall price estimate).  Better yet, can you show him a few samples, and suggest "doing a five minute video for you of this style/level of complexity would take me ______ amount of time and therefore cost about __________, while this other example would take me a bit longer and therefore cost about __________ more dollars"?  i don't envy you having to deal with the boss on this one–outside anyone's comfort zone–but it sounds like a great opportunity to get some good product done and maybe even open more doors.  once the lifting videos are done, who knows what else they might want?

Participant

Butchnap, I am sure I am not the only Pro here that will tell you, there is always more to learn in video production. On what to charge I agree with Pseudosafari. In your Google search bar type in what a videographer makes an hour in your area. That will give you an idea of what others are making an hour.

Participant

I would ask if you will be doing the video during your regular working hours and getting your normal work pay. 

If so what I would do is tell your employer that you will shoot the video at your normal pay. And then quote them a fee for editing and other work you do on your own time. 

Also maybe a rental / user fee for using your equipment. 

thats kool and interesting but im new and dont know much about this

Participant

Hi everyone, and thanks for your input.

It appears that where I live, $40 to $75 per hour is pretty standard for videographers.. I was thinking about charging $50 an hour.

Now here's a question! Since I have to make an outline and of course write the script, that counts toward the hourly rate, right? Do you folks charge the same price for writing/shooting/editing etc?

Also, when dealing with a company (as opposed to say, a wedding client), is it tacky to ask for a portion of the money up front?

I am a little nervous – have to have a meeting with the boss about this tomorrow and I don't want to drop a price and get laughed out of the boardroom, but I obviously have to feel right about the price. I'm sure you folks have been where I'm at!!

Thanks again.

TerryWallTerryWall
      Participant

butchnap, I had a similar situation with a company I worked with a few years ago. They knew I did videography "on the side" and asked me to bid on a "culture video." I offered to do it for $70 per hour for shooting and editing. The CEO was fine with it, but the CFO vetoed it because "I already had a job at the company and he wasn't going to sign on to paying me twice!" I explained that I was going to do the shoot after normal working hours and edit during evenings and weekends–to no avail. So I passed on the project and they hired someone else who–by everyone's assessment, did a terrible job! And charged a LOT more than I would have. So if you can get the job for around $50 an hour, go for it! And hopefully, you won't get a lot of blowback from anyone at your firm.

Cheers,

Terry

Nick, I hope your meeting about the video went well. In my opinion, I would avoid doing work for your main income employer. It sounds like a no win situation. Do whatever you have to do to get out or get the project done and move on to other clients.  

Participant

Luckily, the President of our company is cool.. I got him to agree to the project for $2500 ($60 an hour plus gas and meals) with half up front.. That way I can get a better set of lights before the production shoot. I appreciate all you folks's help!

TerryWallTerryWall
      Participant

That is good news, Nick. Good luck with the shoot!

~Terry

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap