Mixing stills with video

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

I recently had some footage get damage from a live event I was covering. Shooting b-roll-ish clips for a recap of the event. I was able to salvage some and have some photos but to to compbine both to show full experience. Anyone seen or know a good technique to combine the two?

Shot run and gun style with 5dmk3.

Participant

Stills can add a lot to a video, and it's too bad that more videographers don't make use of stills, when appropriate. 

One technique I used was to zoom in and out of stills and do pan-and-scan across a still. You shooting video so you'll want to keep the visuals moving, otherwise a still could break the pacing the moving video has created.  

Another option is to do what the old Kodak slide projectors used to do – put an image up on a portion of the screen, then fade to another image in another part of the screen and keep repeating. The images keep moving so again, the sense of motion continues.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap