Mixing stills with video

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

I recently had some footage get damage from a live event I was covering. Shooting b-roll-ish clips for a recap of the event. I was able to salvage some and have some photos but to to compbine both to show full experience. Anyone seen or know a good technique to combine the two?

Shot run and gun style with 5dmk3.

Participant

Stills can add a lot to a video, and it's too bad that more videographers don't make use of stills, when appropriate. 

One technique I used was to zoom in and out of stills and do pan-and-scan across a still. You shooting video so you'll want to keep the visuals moving, otherwise a still could break the pacing the moving video has created.  

Another option is to do what the old Kodak slide projectors used to do – put an image up on a portion of the screen, then fade to another image in another part of the screen and keep repeating. The images keep moving so again, the sense of motion continues.

• Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The Best Bags and Cases

The best camera bags and cases — 2020

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
    homicide-bootstrap