miniDV Tape Skips Over First Section: HELP

duderme's picture

Me and my friends recorded a skit for school on a miniDV tape in 2008. I have been meaning to transfer the tape via FireWire, but I wasn't able to get the equipment I needed until now. When I put the tape in and played it back, it instantly skips over the section we recorded and goes straight to another section recorded at a later date. In iMovie, it recognizes this as well and only starts capturing at the beginning of the second section. When I pause the tape at the first second of the second section and rewind it, I can see about two very brief flashes of the first section, but that's it. I don't remember how long the first section was, but the second section is about 20 minutes long, so there is plenty of space left on the tape. My friends have been asking to see it, since its been so long ago, and it was a really fun time for all of us involved. It was recorded on a DCM60 tape with a Sony Handycam DCR-HC52.

Dave Van De Cappelle's picture

10 years, not properly store, MiniDV tapes can detoriate and act like that.  I am afraid that footage is gone for good.

Palladini

Ontario Canada

paulears's picture

When you say it skips over your recording, you mean it starts to play then clicks and the tape whizzes forwards, then starts to play on the next section. I see it start then stop. Tapes are linear - if it skips just 30 seconds, it takes time to skip - it has to go to stop mode, then fast forward mode, the tapes runs through then stops and plays again. I see no recording bar a frame or two - can you confirm the tape physically moves past the recording. My bet is that the recording you think is there, simply isn't!

duderme's picture

Thank you for your answers. I have other tapes from around the same time this one was recorded and they all play perfectly fine. After several tries, I was able to rewind the tape from the second section to the first one and pause it at the right moment to see a perfectly clear frame, as well as some frames blurring into another scene,  but that was pretty much all I could get out of it. I sent a picture to my friend, and he was pretty amused. I would need to pull the camera out again to confirm if the tape moves or not.

paulears's picture

If it doesn't go whirr and take a few seconds and the clock dosplay whizz through - the tape probably jammed when recording, or maybe was slack, so started to lace up and then unlaced - you'd perhaps get a frame or two recorded before it times out and stops. Physically - if the tape doesn't move, there's nothing there to replay.

paulears's picture

If it doesn't go whirr and take a few seconds and the clock dosplay whizz through - the tape probably jammed when recording, or maybe was slack, so started to lace up and then unlaced - you'd perhaps get a frame or two recorded before it times out and stops. Physically - if the tape doesn't move, there's nothing there to replay.