Merging video clips

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I'm needing suggestions on software that can merge video clips together due to my camera only recording 20 minute clips before starting a new one. I was leaning towards Handbrake software. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Participant

Go to the folder where you have the clips that you want to merge.

Use SHIFT right click to open the command window.

At the prompt > enter the following

Copy /b filename1 + filename2 targetfilename

Hit enter

You can enter the filenames you want to merge by clicking and dragging them into the command window. 

For AVCHD files the extension to use for your target filename is .MTS

Participant

My response was not as clear as it could have been. Here is a clarification.

This is how to merge video clips.

Go to the folder where you have the clips.

Use SHIFT right click to open the command window.

At the prompt > enter copy /b clip1 + clip2 targetfilename

To enter the clips click and drag them into the command window

Hit enter.

Your target file should appear in your folder

For AVCHD files the extension to use for your target filename is .MTS

Participant

I'm assuming these are "spanned" AVCHD files. That is, you filmed for 12 minutes and the camera then started a new file.  If these are not AVCHD files,  please disregard.

These instructions are for Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.

The secret is to (1) copy the entire "Private" folder and all it's contents to your hard drive. 

And (2) in Adobe Premiere Pro, don't try to import the clips through the Project Manager. Instead, go to Media Browser and navigate to your clips. All the "spanned" clips will appear as one single clip (you can verify this by looking at the length of the clip in the lower right corner of the thumbnail).. Drag and drop it into your project panel.

The Private folder contains more than just your clips. It also contains the information to merge them together without that momentary loss of video and audio. 

Most AVCHD cameras also come with packaged software for transferring spanned files to your computer.

Participant

Gary, I suggest you go to the time point in the merged clip and see if you see a small glitch.

Robert

Participant

roblewis56, I'm not sure I understand your comment. The procedure I outlined is to PREVENT there being any glitch between spanned AVCHD files. 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2020

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap