Medium shot to close up. Shoot it or do it in post?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Medium shot to close up. Shoot it or do it in post?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      CraigB
      Participant

Hello,
      Video beginner question here.

I’m making a corporate ‘talking head’ type video with a single camera setup.

One technique I’d like to use is where the speaker is first viewed with a medium shot for a sentence or two, and that’s followed by a closeup shot – but everything else remains the same (i.e. lighting, background, etc.)

Is this commonly shot to video that way, or is it more common to zoom in on post? Would doing it in post introduce artifacts?

Thanks for any advice!

Craig

rs170a
      Participant

I’ve lost count of how many single camera interviews I’ve shot over the years.
      Depending on how much you do it, zooming in in post may introduce artifacts. A very slight amount is ok but going from a medium shot to a close up almost certainly will affect your quality.
      I prefer to do my zooming during the interview.
      If the person doing the speaking is being interviewed, do your zooms during a question.
      If it’s a speech, work with them to pause at specific points to allow you to reframe your shot. Once you give them the thumbs up, they continue talking from where they left off.

Mike

Brian
      Participant

Cameras are cheap. Roll a second camera for an additional angle.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best camera bags and cases — 2021

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN