Media format for Video Masters

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hey everyone,

I’m getting back into the video production biz after a 10 year hiatus. I’m curious to know what is the media format that most professional videographers are using to store their masters on? When I was doing this, it was not uncommon to store on a DV format, but seeing as how memory cards are the norm for video camera recording now, does that mean memory cards are the norm for long-term archiving of finished projects? If so, it doesn’t seem very cost effective. I haven’t been able to find much online about this, so I’m curious to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Thank you in advance.

Participant

SD cards can be used for long term storage but only if you have a desire to lose the files and anger your clients. Master files should be considered as valuable as cash, since that’s what they represent, assuming you’re being paid for your work.

Offload those files onto a hard drive, one that is dedicated to storage only. Best practice for backing up data says store another copy of your files offsite or in the “cloud.” Cloud storage providers are everywhere. If you have gigabytes of files, search Google for a cloud storage provider that meets your needs, storage-wise and budget-wise.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap