making a video journal. Have no idea what I’m doing. Send help!

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Videomaker Feedback making a video journal. Have no idea what I’m doing. Send help!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Last year I went to Mexico during the day of the dead. I brought with me my Sony Camera and Røde Microphone to film a video journal. At first, I was thinking of uploading footage to youtube regularly, so that my folks at home could see what I was up to, but I quickly decided that it would be better to wait until I got home so that I could put together something better.

I've now turned the footage into a 20 minute journal/documentary type thing and need some critique. Be as harsh as you want as I'm sure people on Youtube are even harsher.

Keep in mind that this is not a commercial video, I have little experience, and no budget. It was made using a free edition of Lightworks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gXFZreB0UQ

Am I easy to understand? Is it easy to understand what's going on? Are any of my monolouges boring? Are there parts I should just remove from the video?

Some self-critisism first:

1. I would often zoom out or zoom in on things I was filming, because I thought going from an overview shot to focusing on an object and viceversa would look good. When I got home I discovered that I had done this on nearly every clip, which was way to much and made it hard to find clips where I wasn't constatly zooming.

2. I get anxious about filming in public. This means that I will often start filming, and quickly stop to avoid bringing attention to myself. It also means that most of my clips are shorter than I prefer, and many places I've had to use a series of short clips, where I'd prefer to use one that was longer.

3. The audio sounds louder in some parts than others. I'm going to fix that.

4. I use blackouts when there's a jump in time or change in scenery. Does this work?

Notes on specific parts:

1. The transition at 12:00 feels wierd. I tried to remove the dissolve and just have it jump straight from one clip to the next, but that also feels wrong. I feel like there should be another clip in between to make the progression feel more natural, though I don't know what to put.

2. I'm planning on getting 13:52 subtitled.

3. the travel montage that starts at 15:43 feels very long. I've shortened it down in Ligthworks, but haven't exported yet.

4. The title for chapter 4 starts at 18:00, a short while AFTER I've arrived in Zipolite. Is this a strange placement?

5. Does the minute long story at 19:20 feel unnecesary.

6. I have no idea how to end it.

Thanks to anyone that can provide feedback!
      -Ole

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Video Reference Monitor Buyer’s Guide

The best video monitors — 2020

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap